Today I have a recipe that I was just so excited to share with you. As you may know, I kind of have a thing for quinoa. I don’t know what it is about that healthy grain, but I simply love it. One of the things about quinoa is that is really adapts to flavor well. So one morning, I decided to whip up a batch of quinoa and then I realized, hmmmm…. how about quinoa for breakfast? Add a little bacon, a little egg and a little chive for flavor and bam I have the ultimate healthy breakfast! Yes even with bacon!! Let me introduce to you today’s recipe my Bacon, Eggs and Chives Quinoa.
This is one ahhhhhmazing dish! It has so much flavor and is a perfect complement to your breakfast or to have on its own. It kind of reminds me of stir fried rice, but with breakfast ingredients and quoina. Kind of crazy, but hecka good!! Plus it’s so filling! A little bit goes a long way!
I cooked my quinoa in chicken broth for extra flavor and while that was cooking, I cooked some bacon that I got from the butcher. I used a thick cut bacon, but any kind you like will do. Once the quinoa was cooked I added it to my frying pan with olive oil and tossed in the cooked bacon. Gave it a mix, let the flavors come together, then I cracked two eggs right over it and scrambled it until the eggs were cooked. It only took a couple of minutes. I added a pinch more olive oil, chives and ground pepper and added it to my bowl to eat. Since I am the only one who likes quinoa in my family, I have been eating leftovers all week. This dish is great cold or warmed up!
A healthy breakfast made with quinoa that has been stir fried with eggs and bacon and flavored with chives and pepper.
- 1 cup red quinoa (or any kind you like)
- 2 cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 5 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 slices bacon, cooked diced small
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup chives, diced small
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Rinse quinoa and place in a pot over medium low heat with chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until all of the broth is evaporated. Take off the heat and fluff with a fork.
- In a large skillet, over medium low heat, add 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil; heat the olive oil until warmed. Add the quinoa and bacon. Mix until combined. Add two eggs and scramble in the quinoa mixture until well incorporated and eggs are cooked, about 3 minutes. Stir in chives, black pepper and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add to a bowl and serve.
Calories per 1/2 cup: 197, Fat: 13, Cholesterol: 48, Sodium: 138, Potassium: 15, Carbs: 13, Fiber: 1.3, Sugar: 1, Protein: 7
Next time you’re looking to change-up your breakfast, I highly recommend this dish. Even for those picky non-quinoa lovers, I think they will like this dish. My family wouldn’t touch it, even with bacon, but I brought it to work for my co-workers to try and they all liked it. Now I created some more quinoa fans!
Have a super wonderful day!