Last week when I went to the Farmers Market I bought Tomato Basil spread from a vendor and I just fell in love with. The only thing was it was either $7.00 or 3 for $5.00, plus I can only get it at the Farmers Market. So I decided I would make the spread myself and you know what? It turned out even better. Plus I saved myself some money considering this probably cots me less than a $1.50 to make. Here is my Tomato Basil Spread.
This spread is so creamy delicious! If you’re a fan of pasta sauce I think you will love this spread! It’s taste like robust tomatoes with fresh garlic and basil. Oh my gosh, just amazing!!! I am so happy that I created this and happy that I do not have to travel to the Farmers Market to get it!
The spread would be amazing on wraps, panini sandwiches, dipping celery, baguette or breadsticks in. The possibilities are endless!! It makes for a great use of leftover tomato paste and a little bit goes a long way. Make sure you get a good tomato paste when you make it for even better tomato flavor!
The Tomato Basil Spread is made with tomato paste, fresh garlic, fresh basil, olive oil, oregano and to make it creamy and to cut down on the acid, greek yogurt. I took the spread to work and it was a big hit. I used Trader Joe’s Italian Rosemary Crackers to dip in the spread. Have you tried those crackers from TJ’s? They are so good! I wish I took a picture of the box for you.
- Serves: A little over 1 cup
- Serving size: 2 tbsp.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz can tomato paste (I used Contadina Tomato Paste)
- 1 dash sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground pepper
- ¼ tsp. thyme, fresh
- ½ tsp. oregano, dried
- 5 leaves basil, chopped fine
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup greek yogurt, plain
- In a bowl, add garlic, tomato pasta, sugar, salt, pepper, thyme and oregano and mix until combined. Stir in fresh basil leaves. While stirring, drizzle two tablespoons of olive oil. Mix in greek yogurt.
- Serve with Italian crackers, celery, bread sticks, use as a sandwich spread or smear on a baguette.
If you’re looking for a nice flavorful spread this is the one for you! The flavors are just so crazy good! I have been craving pasta and this spread really satisfies my cravings!! I bet a nice glass of red wine would go great with it too! 🙂
Have a super fab weekend!