Boy oh Boy does my house smell delicious!! Oh what is that smell? One of the most amazing roasted chicken dishes ever! I’m not kidding! I am so happy with my chicken dish I could squeal with excitement. Just look at this bad boy!!
OK, probably not the prettiest pictures in the world, but it tastes out of this world! I personally think that the look of a chicken is just not pretty, plus it’s so big, it’s hard to photograph. But anyway, I love it! The chicken has a nice crusty skin, the meat is so juicy and tender and the vegetables have a wonderful caramelized flavor. This was a big hit at the Peanut Butter and Peppers household. So forget those rotisserie chickens at the grocery store, this recipe blows them away!!
This chicken is a breeze to make! I added onions and carrots with a little olive oil to a cast iron skillet, topped it with my chicken, added potatoes and baked it in the oven for 60 minutes. No basting required. The vegetables turned out tender and some of them may look a little burnt, but they are not. They have a wonderful, homey flavor from the juices of the chicken. I love cooking the chicken in a skillet. Have you ever cooked your whole chicken in a skillet? It’s less of a mess then a roasting pan and the vegetables are all nuzzled together perfectly. I have to admit this really was the easiest any by far one of the best chickens I have ever made. My Husband even agreed! Here’s the chicken before it went into the oven. Don’t you love my pink bakers twine?
To make the chicken, all I did was rub it with butter and sprinkled STUBB’S Chicken Rub all over it. The skin was perfectly crusty and has a wonderful slightly sweet with a savory garlic taste. I am not much for using poultry seasoning on my meat, but this was the best!! My Husband asked me what I used on the skin and I told him and he was pretty impressed. Now I will be sprinkling STUBB’S all over a bunch of my chicken recipes. I can’t wait to get grilling. By the way STUBB’S Chicken Spice Rub is all natural, gluten-free and zero calories!! 🙂
- Serves: 1 whole chicken, 3 cups of potatoes, 1 cups of carrots, about ½ cup of onions
- Serving size: serves 4
- 4½ lbs. whole chicken
- 1 onion, sliced thick
- 2 cup carrots, cut in 1" pieces
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lbs. red potatoes, washed (if large, cut in half)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tbsp. poultry seasoning (I used Stubbs)
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Let chicken rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Wash chicken and pat dry. Sprinkle the cavity of the chicken with salt and pepper and add garlic cloves.
- Roll lemon with your hand to make it juicy, cut it in half and add to the cavity of the chicken.
- Trust the chicken. To trust the chicken, cut about 3 feet of baking twine. Place the chicken so that breast side is up, and the legs are pointed towards you. Tuck the wing tips under the chicken. Wrap the string under the neck end of the bird, pulling the string ends up over the breast, toward you, plumping up the breast. Then cross the string under the breast. Wrap each end around the closest leg end, and tie tightly so that the legs come together.
- Rub butter over the chicken and sprinkle with STUBB'S chicken seasoning and a little ground pepper.
- In a heavy cast iron skillet, layer the bottom of the skillet with onions and carrots. Drizzle with olive oil and give it a mix.
- Top the onions and carrots with the chicken. Add potatoes around the side of the chicken.
- Place in oven and roast for 60 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Place the chicken on a cutting board and cover with aluminium foil. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes, so that all the juices run back into the chicken. To keep your vegetables warm, turn off the oven and placing the skillet of vegetables back in the oven.
- Cut the chicken into pieces and serve with vegetables.
I really enjoyed today’s recipe and seriously it blows those rotisserie chickens out the window. Plus it was extremely easy to make. I made this on a Sunday night, but it’s so easy that you can make this during the work week. Just side it with some crusty bread or a nice salad. Yum, yum, yum! I can’t wait to make this again!!
Have a great day!
As part of STUBB’S Legendary BAR-B-Q Insiders Club, I received free products of STUBB’S. All recipes are mine and all opinions are my own.