Today for #SundaySupper we are having a little chili cook-off. That means I have to come up with a chili recipe that I have never made before. This is pretty tough in my house, you’ll see why in a second. I told my Husband I had to make chili again, since last #SundaySupper I made chili. So chili twice in two weeks, my Husband was thrilled. He said, you can never have too much chili! He loves chili!!! I told him I think I will make Southwestern Chicken Chili. He said, oh, not regular beef chili? I said no, he was not happy. I said sorry, but this is what I want to make. He said I won’t like it. As some of you may already know from previous posts, he does not like chicken and tomatoes together. He likes both ingredients, but not together. In my house we won’t have chicken parmesan, chicken enchiladas, chicken with tomatoes and garlic and so on. So this chili is also considered a chicken and tomato dish.
Anyway, I made my chili, served it and my Husband said, just give me a little bowl. He took a bite, and said, ready for this? This is really good, way better than I thought it would be! He went to the Crockpot, and filled his bowl up all of the way! Yah! He liked it! He actually ate chicken and tomatoes together, shocking!!! A couple of weeks ago it was yogurt and granola and now chicken and tomatoes, maybe I can change him? I know, I know, baby steps!
I honestly don’t know how he couldn’t like this chili, it was sooooooo good and so me!! Yup, this is totally a Jennifer Chili!! It’s made with all of my favorite things, black beans, chipotle peppers, chicken, corn and of course the basic chili ingredients like tomatoes. The chili is chunky, a little spicy, but more of a deep spice and so filling! Oh my gosh, I have to make this again!!!
What’s nice about this chili is I prepared it all together before I went to bed, and then placed it in the refrigerator. Then in the morning I let it come to room temperature and then put it in my Crockpot. I slow cooked it all day and when I came home from work, it was done. I googled preparing my food the night before and according the Crockpot people, you can! As long as you don’t put a cold pot directly into the Crockpot. They are afraid the cold hitting the warm of the Crockpot cooker would crack the bowl. It worked like a charm and now I will be doing this more often, especially since I can give my meal a little more love!
A deep, slightly spicy, healthy, thick chili made with corn, black beans and chipotle peppers.
- 1 lbs. chicken breasts, skinless, boneless
- 1 cup sweet bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup corn, frozen
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 4 oz can green chili’s, diced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (add more to make spicier)
- 28 oz can plum tomatoes
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- In a crockpot add the chicken and the rest of the ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Cook on low for 8 - 9 hours or on high for 4 - 6 hours. About an hour before it is done; shred the chicken by taking two forks and pulling the chicken apart.
- Optional toppings: cheese, greek yogurt, avocado, diced tomatoes, tortilla chips
Note: You can prepare this the night before in the Crockpot. Place all ingredients in the Crockpot, place in the refrigerator over night. In the morning let it sit on the counter to come to room temperature, then cook it in the Crockpot.
Calories per cup: 220, Fat: 1.2, Sodium: 718, Potassium: 175, Carbs: 32, Fiber: 9, Sugar: 5, Protein: 21
I just love warm, comfy dishes like this! It makes for wonderful leftovers too! You can also freeze your chili if you make a big batch like I did.
I want to give Heather from GirliChef a big thank you for hosting this week!! I am looking forward to checking out all of the #SundaySupper chili recipes. I got a sneak peek at some of them and wow, very unique and fun!! Oh and guess what? You get to vote on the best chili recipe!! You can vote with your eyes, stomach, photo, recipe, whatever meets your fancy. Just remember to vote for me! The dish with the most votes at the end of the voting period will get one ticket to the 2014 Food and Wine Conference, being held once again in sunny Orlando, Florida this July + a $25 gift card. Let me tell you this is going to be a tough competition!!!
Have a great Sunday!!
- Bison & Black Bean Chili from It’s Yummi!
- Cincinnati Chili from Savvy Eats
- Easy Beef Bean Chili from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Chili con Carne from Manu’s Menu
- Gesundheit Chili from Magnolia Days
- Hellfire Chili from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Hoisin Beef Chili from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Moroccan Harissa Spiked Chili from MarocMama
- Short Rib Chili from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Chili from Hip Foodie Mom
Chicken, Duck, and Turkey Chili
- Asian Five Spice Duck Chili from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Buffalo Turkey Chili from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken and Bell Pepper Chili from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Meatball Chipotle Chili from Soni’s Food
- Gluten Free Turkey Chili from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Kickin’ Chicken Chili from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Low Calorie Turkey Chili from Basic N Delicious
- Olé Mole Turkey Chili from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Quick & Easy Chipotle Turkey Chili from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Shockingly Delicious Chili Mole with Red Beans and Raisins from Shockingly Delicious
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili from Family Foodie
- Thai Chicken Chili from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- White Chicken Chili from The Foodie Army Wife
Mixed (meat combo) Chili
- Best Damn Chili Ever from Noshing With The Nolands
- Chili con Tres Carne from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Daddy’s Favorite Chili from Momma’s Meals
- Harlem Meatloaf Chili from Neighborfood
- Leslie’s Best Chili from La Cocina de Leslie
Fish and Seafood Chili
- Scrumptious Seafood Chili from A Kitchen Hoor
- Easy Vegetarian Chili with Raisins and Cashews from Delaware Girl Eats
- New Orleans Style Vegetarian Chili from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Vegan Slow Cooker Chili from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Chicken Chili Cheese Fries from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chili Cornbread Cupcakes from In The Kitchen With KP
- Chili Topped Tater Tots from Ruffles & Truffles
- Spicy Chili Mac from girlichef
Best Wines To Pair with Chili #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.