Do you crave chocolate? Caramel? Sweet treat? But are afraid of calories, fat and carbs? After all anything that is sweet and contains chocolate and caramel can’t be good for you. Well my Friends, I have solved your problem today! Today I give you a cookie that tastes like a caramel macchiato but is only 28 calories. This is not a joke, it’s for real and I whipped it up in my kitchen. No need to thank me, well ok you can.
These cookies are so sweet, so light, airy and ohhhh, the caramel and chocolate flavors, I’m slightly drooling right now. These cookies are made with egg whites, which makes them light and airy, and folded in with rich dark chocolate and unsweetened cocoa powder. For the caramel flavor I used J.R. Watkins Caramel Extract. The extract is a dream to people who love caramel, but don’t love the calories or sugar.
Making theses cookies is super easy! I beat 3 egg whites till frothy, added sugar, cocoa and extracts and beat till a soft peak. Fold in the chocolate and bam the batter is ready to bake and don’t tell anyone, I know its raw egg whites, but dam the batter tasted good. Pop the cookies in the oven for 10 minutes, then turn the oven off, open the oven door and let them rest for 30 minutes. They turn out perfect. I mad a Mickey Mouse shaped one and my Husband ate the ear, so I don’t get to show you. 🙁
- Serves: 34 Cookies
- Serving size: 1 Cookie
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar or 1 cup presweet tagatose
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract (I used JR Watkins)
- 1 tsp. caramel extract (I used JR Watkins)
- 4 oz dark chocolate, melted, cooled
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of oven;
- Preheat to 350 degrees
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper, nonstick baking mats or lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Beat egg whites and salt in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until frothy.
- Gradually add sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and caramel extract and continue beating until soft peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold melted chocolate into the egg whites until no white streaks remain.
- Drop 2 teaspoons of batter 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets, fitting about 16 cookies per sheet.
- Bake until set, 10 to 12 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the macaroons in with the door slightly ajar for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
Calories per cookie using Sugar: 36, Fat: 1, Sodium: 11, Potassium: 17, Carbs: 7, Fiber: 1. Sugar: 6, Protein: 1
Are you ready for the giveaway? How about a $30.00 gift certificate from JR Watkins? Now you can get lots of baking items to start the holiday season and the best part, no calories or very low calories. Now you can have a guilt-free holiday. That’s what I plan on doing. Last year I put on to many pounds during the month of November and December and I refuse to let that happen again this year! So extracts are the way to go!! I have made a ton of recipes in the past couple of months using Watkins extracts. I love using them in my frappes. Yummy!!
Birthday Cake Smoothie – Butter Extract, yum
Birthday Cake Batter – Butter Extract
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls – Butter Extract
Fat Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Yogurt – Peanut Butter Extract
That’s just to name a few recipes. If your a frequent reader of mine, you know I have a lot more recipes with fun extracts in them. 🙂 My Husband loves the cherry in his slushies.
To win all you have to do is tell, what is your favorite thing to bake or make during the holiday season?
For extra entries: Just be sure you tell me you did so
- Sign up for email/subscribe to Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Follow Peanut Butter and Peppers on Twitter
- Tweet my giveaway: Get ready for baking season and win a Watkins gift certificate at Peanut Butter and Peppers @JenatPBandP http://www.peanutbutterandpeppers.com/?p=16017
- Follow Peanut Butter and Peppers and or Vanillaholics on Facebook
- Follow me on Pintrest and Pin one of my recipes and tell me what one you pinned
Can’t wait to win? Visit Vanillaholics website and for every order placed in the month of October you will get a $10.00 gift certificate. Awesome!
I plan on placing an order soon!!! I wanted to give you a little scoop on Watkins. They offer all natural herbs, spices, natural personal care products and natural home products. I have yet to try the body care products but I want too! They have an Ultra Rich Hand Cream that I want to try out. With winter coming my hands and feet get so dry! Plus they have vanilla lotion, my favorite. Plus there prices are average. Not all crazy or something. I buy my extracts for $3.49 a bottle. That’s cheaper than my local grocery store. 🙂
Well my Friends that is it for me!! I think my post is getting a tad long!
Have a super great day!