Today I have for you a wonderful summertime recipe that my Husband and I simply love. This recipe is not perfect, and I’ll explain why, but ohhh, the taste is friggen amazing!! The flavors in this dish just blow my mind and makes me realize how much I love summer and how much I’ll miss it when it’s gone.
This is my Summer Time Vegetable Pizza Pie! I think the title says it all. It’s chock full of vegetables that I got from the Farmers Market and my CSA box. It’s filled with bell peppers, zucchini, onions, fresh corn off the cob and ohhh those summer time tomatoes, plus fresh basil. I love all of the flavors in this dish and combined together is simply magical.
I came up with this recipe, by using my Tomato Pizza Pie recipe that I made last summer. My Husband and I loved it soooooo much, that we ate the whole pie. Yup, we were little piggies back then. Believe me we would have eaten all of this Vegetable Pie, but it’s pretty filling! This recipe is like a deep dish pizza without a bazillion calories! For the crust of the pie, I went simple and used a Pillsbury Pie Crust. I love their pie crust. I remember as a kid my Mom making pies and everyone thought her crust was homemade, but nope it was Pillsbury!
For the filling I used Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce that I got from Whole Foods. I love that sauce, and now I’m out! I guess that means a trip to Whole Foods! I topped the pizza with some lite shredded mozzarella cheese.
I baked the pizza for 20 minutes and it was done! This pizza is thick and very filling!! However, now the flaws to the recipe. The pizza tends to be a tad watery because of the juices from the vegetables. However, the juices have wonderful, fresh flavor. If you don’t mind it a little liquidy, then make it and enjoy it! My Husband and I ate 3/4’s of the pie. I am happy my Husband who is not a vegetable fan loved it. He ate half the pizza! When we were done eating and I went to put the leftovers in the fridge, the pizza held its shape. It has to really cool, quite a bit to keep its shape. Don’t let this picture fool you, but the pie is thick, but some of the filling fell out and I didn’t want to make a mess to the plate.
A simple summer time deep dish pizza pie filled with fresh summer produce and baked to perfection.
- 1 12" pie crust (I used Pillsbury)
- 1 medium (87 grams) bell pepper, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 (146 grams) small zucchini, sliced
- 1/4 cup (39 grams) onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (125 grams) corn (I used 1 large ear of corn)
- 4 medium (300 grams) tomatoes, cored, sliced
- 10 basil leaves, sliced thin, divided
- 1/2 tsp. oregano, divided
- 1/2 tsp parsley, divided
- 1 1/2 cups pasta sauce or pizza sauce
- 3/4 cup (3 oz) mozzarella cheese, lite shredded
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Line the pie plate with your pie crust. Add in layers, starting with bottom, bell pepper, zucchini, onion, sprinkle of parsley, sprinkle oregano, 5 basil leaves, corn, one row of tomatoes, sprinkle of parsley, sprinkle of oregano, 5 basil leaves and top with remaining tomatoes. Add pasta sauce and spread with a back of a spoon; top with cheese.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is lightly golden. Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Calories per serving: 320, Fat: 15.6, Cholesterol: 17, Potassium: 345, Carbs: 42, Fiber: 3.6, Sugar: 6.9, Protein: 9.3
I really love these kind of dishes! It was simple to put together, just a little cutting and it baked up in no time. By the time I washed the dishes and wrote down the recipe, it was done. The key is, if you can, let it cool so it thickens up. If you’re not so picky, like us, then eat it while it’s piping hot.
So be sure to head out to your local Farmers Market! I really believe in supporting my local farms! I love knowing my produce comes from my neighbors rather than traveling across country!
I was asked on Twitter where I get my CSA box so I thought I would share the information with you. I get my box from Farm Fresh to You. It’s all organic produce delivered to your door. You can pick what produce you want, you can cancel anytime. I have been very happy with everything I have received from them. I just found out they now have organic eggs. I’m calling them tomorrow to add that to my by weekly deliveries! If you get the service, tell them I referred you and they will give you a $10.00 discount.
Well that’s it for me. Time to shuffle off! Have a beautiful day and a fabulous weekend!
P.S. Please vote for my Peanut Butter and Jelly Tart. You can vote everyday and have a chance to win up to $2000 in prizes. Thank you for your help and support. Just go here.