Happy Father’s Day!
Today is another edition of #SundaySupper and today we have to make a dish for Father’s Day. When I think of a Father’s Day meal I think of meal that involves beef! My Husband requested meat for his big day, but not my dish, he requested a fat steak wrapped in a pound of bacon. I love the man, so I didn’t want to kill him with that! I gave him the next best thing a meaty, cheesy quick lasagna! One thing he does love is a heavy meat sauce for his pasta and this dish covers that!
I never made skillet lasagna and I was a little concerned that I didn’t have enough cheese and that the no boil lasagna noodles wouldn’t soften up. Well, this dish exceeded my expectations and my Husbands too! The lasagna was rich, thick, cheesy and meaty! My Husband loved it! Since I had leftovers he was quick to say, I’ll have this for dinner tomorrow night! Wow! I don’t get that to often from him.
Not only is this dish delicious, but it’s also perfect to serve for a quick week night meal. I made everything in one pan and I cheated on this dish by using a jar of pasta sauce. I was going to make my own pasta sauce, but I’ll be honest with you, I was too lazy! How sad is that?
I also made my lasagna healthy, by using only 1/2 cup of fat-free ricotta cheese and a 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese. Don’t let that fool you, this was one of the most cheesy dishes I have ever made. I guess you can tell the word of the day is “Cheesy”! I also skimmed on the lasagna noodles and used only 2 oz, which is one serving. It was perfect! I do have to laugh, my Husband won’t touch whole wheat noodles, but in this dish he had no clue!! he he Since I was making this for me too, I had to watch the calories and nutrition. I didn’t want a 500 or more calorie pasta dish.
- Serves: 4 servings
- Serving size: ¼ of the pan
- 1lbs. ground beef, lean (I used 96/4)
- ½ tbsp. garlic minced
- ⅓ cup onion, diced
- 3 Cups (1lbs 9 oz jar) Pasta Sauce (I used Whole Foods Roasted Vegetable)
- 2 oz no bake whole wheat lasgana noodles, broken up
- ½ cup Ricotta Cheese, fat free
- ½ cup lite mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a skillet add ground beef, garlic, and onion and cook until beef is no longer pink, breaking up any large chunks. Drain the fat.
- Add half the jar pasta sauce to meat mixture; mix until combined. Drop chunks of ricotta cheese over meat and then add lasagna noodles, covering some of it with the meat. Add remaining pasta sauce and top with mozzarella cheese. Set burner to low, cover pan with a lid and bake until noodles are soft and cheese is melted; about 15 minutes. Check pasta with a fork.
- Let it cool for a couple of minutes and serve.
I really love one dish meals, makes for easy clean-up! Plus this dish would please any lasagna lover and best of all no-guilt! Trust me, if my Husband didn’t notice that it was made healthy, no one in your family will either! Just serve with a side salad and a mini loaf of garlic bread and you have one good Italian meal!
Have a wonderful Father’s Day! Now be sure to check out what the other members of the #SundaySupper gang will be bringing to their Father’s Day table.
Enjoy your day!
It’s that time of year to celebrate dear Ol’ Dad. We all know the way to Dad’s heart on Father’s Day is through his stomach. This week, the Sunday Supper Team is celebrating Dad’s by sharing our favorite Father’s Day Recipes. This is a special event because through the Sunday Supper Movement, we have become an extended family. I am honored to celebrate with all the special Dad’s, Grandfathers, Uncles and families that have been brought together by this amazing group. Join us for this special #SundaySupper!
Dad’s Favorite Main Dishes:
- Father’s Day Ribs by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Chorizo Burgers by La Cocina de Leslie
- Whiskey Sliders by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Beer Can Chicken by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pesto Shrimp Roll Sandwich by Growing Up Gabel
- Cast Iron Filet Mignon with Wine Sauce by I Run For Wine
- Grilled Tilapia with Blueberry Mango Salsa by Runner’s Tales
- Chicken Wings for Dad by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fish with Black Bean Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spaghetti with Homemade Meatballs by Curious Cuisiniere
- Tamale Pie Ring by Treats & Trinkets
- Grill-Roasted Chicken & Vegetables by Foxes Loves Lemons
- Grandma Papina’s Lamb Stew by Webicurean
- Barbecue Beans and Ribs by Food Lust People Love
- Skillet Meat Lasagna by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Panko Crusted Snapper by Supper for a Steal
- Gluten Free Bourbon Honey Grilled Pork Chops by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Boiled Shrimp for Father’s Day by The Catholic Foodie
- Dad’s Famous Baby Back Ribs by Family Foodie
- Turkey Stuffed Peppers by Ruffles & Truffles
- Lightened Up Fish Biriyani With Fresh Dill by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Cauliflower, Potato, and Cheddar Pierogi by Healthy.Delicious
Dad’s Favorite Appetizers and Sides:
- Spicy Caramelized Bacon Wrapped Smoked Oysters by Noshing with the Nolands
- Tuna Pasta Salad – Dad’s Recipe by Juanita’s Cocina
- Grilled Bok Choy by Shockingly Delicious
- Bacon-Cheddar Potato Salad by Home Cooking Memories
- Couscous Tabbouleh by Soni’s Food
Dad’s Favorite Desserts
- Dad’s Cheesecake by Table for 7
- Cheese Crackers by The Urban Mrs
- Coconut Cream Pie by Cookin’ Mimi
- Chewy Oat Cookies with a Banana Bread Influence by What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Nutter Butters by Pies and Plots
- Shoot for the Stars Chocolate Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Golden Coconut Bars by Magnolia Days
- Classic Oatmeal Raisin Cookies by NeighborFood
- Velvet Cookies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pecan Pie by Small Wallet Big Appetite
Come celebrate Father’s day with the Sunday Supper Team! We would love to have you join our Twitter #SundaySupper chat starting at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day to see the amazing recipes. We look forward to seeing you. To join all you need to do is follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and share your favorite tips and recipes. Be sure to check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.