Hello my Peep,
Today was a nice day, the sun was shining and it wasn’t to cold. I was sitting home and I just couldn’t stay there anymore, I wanted to get out and enjoy the sunshine! So what did I do? I spent 2 hours at Homegoods. That is one store that time flies by fast. I mostly did window shopping. I only bought a couple of plates and some sugar-free coffee syrup. Nothing to exciting, but I still enjoyed myself. I was there a couple of weeks ago and I saw some cupcake stands and I’m kicking myself for not buying them. They were gone when I went there today. 🙁 After that I went to Starbucks and got a nice ice coffee and sat outside enjoyed the warmth from the sun.
When I got home I was craving a sandwich!! I wasn’t sure what kind I wanted, so I rummaged through my refrigerator and saw some basil leaves that I needed to used, so I thought hmmm, why not make a Pesto Caprese Sandwich. You know how I love my Caprese concoctions in everything.
I made a thick pesto dressing to go on top on my sandwich. It was quite tasty that I wanted to share it with you. The key to making a fat sandwich is the bread. Now I don’t mean having all bread. As I mentioned once before, what I do is tear out the dough of the bread, so I can load it more with goodies. Plus taking the bread out, leaves a nice foundation to place your goodies inside of the sandwich, it holds everything together well. I didn’t want to lose any of my cheese or tomatoes, that would be a sin. Nothing worse than making a beautiful sandwich and one bite and your filling falls out. Plus you’ll save about 100 calories! It’s a win win!!
This sandwich may not look very big, but I was surprised on how filling it was. I was thinking I would need chips to go with it, but nope, didn’t need that!! One of my favorite loves is a good sandwich! Not one made with low-calorie bread or boring bread, but a big fat sandwich loaded with flavor, melted cheese and vegetables. This sandwich fit the bill!!
Notice the pictures were taken outside? It’s so nice to have sun and it’s even nicer that it doesn’t go down until after 7! Sorry there is like a bazillion of the same looking pictures and there isn’t any fancy plating or pretty napkins, but I was hungry and I can’t have a sandwich sit that long, it’s to enticing and I wanted to eat!! I’m sure you understand.
- Serves: 2 sandwiches
- Serving size: 2 big sandwiches
- 2 - 8 oz Ciabatta Bread, sliced in half
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded or sliced, reduced fat
- 8 slices tomato
- 1 tbsp. balsamic dressing, fat free
- **Pesto Dressing**
- 1 bunch basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp parmesan Cheese
- ¼ greek yogurt, plain, fat free
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise, reduced fat
- In a mini food processor add garlic, basil leaves, olive oil and Parmesan cheese. Process until broken up.
- In a small bowl add yogurt and mayonnaise. Add the basil mixture. Mix until combined. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Make the sandwich. Cut Ciabatta bread in half. On the bottom layer, add balsamic dressing, than tomatoes, cheese and on the top piece add the Pesto Dressing, about 2 Tablespoons per sandwich.
- Add sandwich to a Panini Maker, grill or skillet. Cook until the cheese is melted.
I’m making it short tonight. I need to finish laundry and I want to prep some food for next week. I’m doing it a little earlier, but I heard it’s going to be nice tomorrow and I’m hoping to get out there and do some yard work.
Have a great rest of the weekend and remember the Trader Joe’s giveaway ends at noon (PST) today!