With the chilly weather here and boy is it cold, I have been craving a good, comforting soup to warm my bones. So today I created a simple homemade Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup. It is hearty, filling and comforting, all of the things I crave this time of year.
This soup is made with roasted red peppers, plum tomatoes, chicken stock, but you could use vegetable stock too and seasoning to give an extra boost of flavor. Did you know that cooked tomatoes have more antioxidants and better nutritional value than raw tomatoes? Good reason to eat your soup.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 2½ cups chicken broth or vegetable stock
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. dried basil or ¼ cup fresh
- ¼ cup skim milk
- In a stock pot heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, red peppers, chicken broth, salt, pepper, sugar and basil; stir until combined. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 25 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and the flavors have melded together. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper.
- Puree using a hand held immersion blender until smooth. Over low heat, add milk and cook until warmed.
I hope your staying warm! Have a wonderful day!