When Jennifer of Peanut Butter & Peppers asked for some blogging help this summer, I offered to do a healthy lunchbox post as we all get back into the swing of school. These are some healthy and colorful options for you. You can make these as simple or as complicated as you want. Use homemade. Or use pre-made. I have included links to recipes for some of the ingredients as a reference or inspiration.
In a (portable) container, layer…
- organic yogurt
- jam or honey
So, for the first day of school, last year, I decided these would make a nice surprise. I figured the bear looked close enough to a wombat…so I included that in my now 10-year-old’s lunch with a note that read: Enjoy your wombat egg!
When the egg came home untouched, I asked why. He chided me, horrified. Riley laughed and said, “Silly goose, wombats don’t lay eggs. They give birth to a live wombat baby!” Needless to say, I will be more careful with my lunchbox love notes.
Wrap your filling (one end in, or two!) in a tortilla or flatbread. Here are some ideas for your rainbow wraps… I’ve included some links to give you some ideas. But just be creative!
- Red: cherry tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted peppers, salsa, strawberries, rhubarb
- Orange: cherry tomatoes, roasted pepper, mashed sweet potatoes, salad with mango and nasturtium
- Yellow: yellow summer squash, Yukon gold potato salad
- Green: spinach, basil, marinated artichokes, green olives, pesto, kale-wakame salad, kale salad
- Blue: pickled blueberries
- Purple: purple cabbage, kalamata olives, grapes