Valentine’s Day may be over, but I believe the romance should continue and today’s recipe is pure romance! I have a riddle for you. What do you get when you add Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy Wine, Chocolate and Beef? The worlds best chili!! Yupper doodles, I added wine and chocolate to my chili and oh my gosh, this is by far one of the best chili’s I have ever made!
The chili is rich, bold, smokey and has the most wonderful notes of berries and plums from the Hearty Burgundy wine. I made this chili because back in my early 20′s, while living in New York, my Husband and I went to a chocolate festival and I had a sampling of chocolate chili and it’s something I will never forget it. When I tried Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy wine, I thought how the flavor of the wine would go well with dark chocolate and then it hit me! These two ingredients would be a perfect match to my chili. I was right and my Husband agrees. He was a little thrown off when I told him I was making Hearty Burgundy and Chocolate Chili, but when he had one bite, he was in love. Now only if he looked at me like he did his heaping bowl of chili. lol
The chili is so easy to make too! I added a little bit of ancho chili powder for a smoky flavor, along with some dark chocolate, sugar, oregano, chili powder, and the basic chili ingredients and of course the star of the show Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy Wine. Trust me, you really need the wine in this recipe. I promise it won’t disappoint you! Once I added all of my ingredients, I slow cooked it for an hour so all of the flavors would come together. The smell of the chili cooking made me taste test it a bazillion times before it was even done. So good!!
A hearty, smoky, rich, bold chili with a hint of deep spice with notes of plums and berries.
- 1 lbs. ground beef, lean
- 1 cup onion, diced small
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (15oz ) cans kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 tbsp. chile powder
- 1 tsp. ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/3 cup Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy Wine
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1oz unsweetened dark chocolate
- In a large pot add ground beef, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook until the beef is no longer pink. Drain the fat.
- Add tomatoes, kidney beans, chili' powder, ancho chili powder, dried oregano, and burgundy wine; mix well. Add tomato sauce, sugar, and chocolate. Mix until combined. Cook over low heat for approx 60 minutes; stirring occasionally.
Calories per serving: 244, Fat: 4.1, Cholesterol: 27, Sodium: 477, Potassium: 212, Carbs: 30, Fiber: 7, Sugar: 7, Protein: 20
I am really glad I got the opportunity to try Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy Wine. It’s a beautiful deep red, almost purple like color. It’s dry, yet has the most wonderful rich flavor and would pair well with any beef dish or red sauce. Heck, I’m going to add it in my pasta sauce. I can only imagine how wonderful it will taste.
You can find Gallo Family Vineyards Wines here. You can also check out Gallo Family Vineyards website for their wine varieties and some great recipes. I will include the links below.
I really had fun with today’s post and I am really loving the chili! I have one more chili picture for you and oh and it tastes even more amazing the next day!! My Husband and I ate it for dinner the next night! Love these kind of leftovers.
Be sure to check out the other recipes that #SundaySupper made using Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy Wine. I can’t wait to see what they come up with. I just hope my wine lasts that long!
Have a wonderful day!
- Fruity Burgundy Sangria by Shockingly Delicious
- Beef Burgundy in Puff Pastry by Webicurean
- Beef Burgundy Pasta by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Burgundy Mushroom Sauce over Beef by The Dinner-Mom
- Classic Coq au Vin by Foxes Love Lemons
- Cornish Beef Pasty with Burgundy Gravy by Neighborfood
- Hearty Burgundy and Chocolate Chili by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Hearty Burgundy Beef Stew by Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Majestic Burgundy Mushrooms & Cookie Cups with Burgundy Cream by NinjaBaking.com
- Mushroom Bolognese Kale Lasagna by Alida’s Kitchen
- Oeufs en Meurette by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pollo Alla Cacciatorra (Hunter-Style Chicken) by The Foodie Army Wife
- Red Wine Braised Short Ribs with Polenta by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Roasted Salmon with Burgundy-Balsamic Glaze by girlichef
- Sausage & Mushroom Ragu by The Messy Baker
- Sausages in Burgundy Sauce with Mushrooms by Soni’s Food
- Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce with Pappardelle by Hip Foodie Mom
- Slow Cooker Hearty Burgundy Wine Pork Roast by Family Foodie
- Berry Burgundy Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Red Wine Cherry Chocolate Bars by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.