Oh man, last official weekend to shop! This is not good! Sigh… Please tell me I am not the only one who has shopping left to do? Nobody would tell me what to get them this year, so I didn’t get anything. I know that’s not good, but I just don’t know what to get anyone. My guess is it’s going to be a few things and gift cards. I hate gift cards as gifts, at least from family members, but I think this is what I must do, so impersonal. But today I have a recipe that comes from the heart!!
As you know I LOVE peppermint and I had to include, yet another peppermint cookie to my collection. This one is a tad different because I used crushed candy canes in it! Yum! I actually cheated and bought a bag of crushed candy canes. They had them at Cost Plus and I thought that would be more convenient than me crushing candy canes. Besides candy canes don’t do well in my house. Many years ago I bought candy canes and put them all over my Christmas tree, after all growing up we always had candy canes on Christmas trees. Well, my precious Doodles loved ALL food. One time she got into my pantry and took all of my potatoes! She ate a lot and hid the rest of them throughout the house. I found them in my couch cushions, under furniture, in my closet and even in my shoes. Well one year I decided to relive my childhood and put candy canes on my tree, well guess who ate them? My Doodles! She actually got them off the top of the tree without knocking it over or breaking an ornament. Ever since then, I have not hung any candy canes on the tree. My Doodles loved food, but my boy Sampson is crazy obsessed and he is not graceful, I can only imagine what kind of mess he would make if he even smelled candy canes. So nope, no candy canes in this house!!
So on to cookie talk. Today’s Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are crunchy, chocolaty and have just the right amount of peppermint. I debated on adding peppermint extract to my batter, but I really didn’t want an over powering peppermint flavor. I found the candy cane flavor was simply perfect! The cookies are really easy to make and like my other cookies they puff up!! The outer is crunchy and the center is soft, which I think makes for a perfect cookie!! Plus I am really loving the chocolate chips in the cookies.
- Serves: 40 Cookies
- Serving size: 1 Cookie
- 1¾ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 stick butter, melted
- ½ cup Truvia Baking Blend or 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup candy canes-crushed up
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line two Baking Sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, coco powder, baking powder and salt; mix together; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugar, beat until combined. Beat in one egg at a time until combined. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture and beat until just combined.
- Fold in candy canes and chocolate chips.
- Scoop out about a table size amount of dough and place 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheet. Bake in oven for 10 to 12 minutes until lightly golden.
- Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes then place onto a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container for up to three days.
One thing I want to share with you is that I am now posting recipes, healthy tips, DIY and other good things on Sulia. What I do is find things I like, such as healthy recipes, getting fit tips among other things. I have also been taking recipes from my fellow bloggers and sharing it on Sulia and also posting them to my Facebook page and Pintrest. It’s kind of my way of giving back to my Blogging Friends. There are a lot of great recipes and healthy tips if you want to check it out. Oh and Blogger Friends, don’t be surprised if I end up posting one of your recipes on Sulia. You can check it out here if your interested.
Well that’s it, lots of things to do today!
Have a great weekend!