Can you keep a secret? I really must confess something to you. Something that’s kind of embarrassing. I ate dog balls. There I said it! I ate dog balls! Not the kind of dog balls your thinking of!! Dirty!! See I always make recipes for me, my family, my friends and you, but I rarely make anything for my bad babies! So this past Sunday, I debated on what recipe to share with you today and I just didn’t feel like making anything for me and I thought I’ll make my babies some healthy balls that I know they will love!!
My dogs have a slight obsession with peanut butter. I don’t know where they get that from? Don’t look at me! 🙂 But my girl Samantha has a major obsession with pumpkin. As I said in past posts, she is a good girl, never steals, begs or does anything bad when it comes to food. But one day I made pumpkin muffins for her and Sampson and ever since then she has become crazy! Everytime I open a can of pumpkin she is right there! She bark, begs and pleads for pumpkin. I made pumpkin muffins a few months ago and I left her alone, and when I came back she ate them all. All of them!!! She has never done that ever!! She is just pumpkin obsessed. I guess kind of like her Mom???? Here is my girl Samantha!
So with my dogs two obsessions, I decided to whip together a quick and easy peanut butter and pumpkin balls. The balls taste fantastic. Yes I ate one, plus batter! So embarrassing, but I had to test them!! When you bite into a ball, you get a hint of peanut butter, than cinnamon and your left with a wonderful pumpkin taste. I never realized that pumpkin and peanut butter go so well together. I will be making a creation with this combo soon, I just must!!!
I used all natural ingredients, so I know my dogs will be getting a healthy treat!! To make the balls I used organic peanut butter, organic pumpkin, local honey and gluten free oats and just a pinch of cinnamon. You know my dogs just love the cinnamon. Everything here is completely healthy and safe for your dog.
I tried to get a picture of my dogs when I gave them there little treats, but my boy was horrible. He kept barking and wouldn’t let me take a picture of him. I see people post pictures of there dogs all of the time, but my dogs get to excited when the camera points to them. They don’t mind me taking photos of food, but not photos of them. I guess they are camera shy?
- ½ cup peanut butter, natural organic
- 1 cup pumpkin, organic (not pie filling)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 tbsp. honey (I used local)
- 2½ cups oats (I used Gluten Free)
- Add parchment paper to a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a bowl, add peanut butter, pumpkin, cinnamon and honey; mix until incorporated. Add the oats; mix well. If the consistency seems to wet, add a pinch more oats.
- Grab a chunk of the batter and roll into balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Do the same until no more batter remains. NOTE: I rolled my balls into the size of a golf ball, maybe a little bigger.
- Place the baking sheet in the fridge to let the balls harder a bit, then store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks or place in the freezer for up to 3 months.
I know today’s recipe isn’t for you, but really it can be! If these were totally for me, I’d add a pinch of vanilla and maple syrup to it, other than that I would leave it as is. These are pretty tasty, so don’t feel bad if you eat dog balls! I don’t! Just don’t tell anyone you did! 😉
Have a great day!!