This past Sunday was such a peanut butter day for me! I started my day off with peanut butter and jelly toast for breakfast. Then for a snack I had greek yogurt with peanut butter and Jelly and then I decided to bake cookies and of course what else are they filled with? Peanut butter and jelly!! I swear I’d be sick of it, but I’m not!!!
These cookies couldn’t scream peanut butter and jelly anymore. It is a perfect replica of a PB and J and I love it! These are your traditional thumbprint cookies, and instead of baking jam in the center, I made the cookies naked! Once the cookies cooled I filled my thumbprints with some creamy natural peanut butter and topped it with my Stonewall Kitchen Sugar Plum Jam. Now of course you can use any jam you like. I think strawberry and raspberry would be perfect!!
For the nuts I used Honey Roasted Peanuts. Oh man, are they good!! I am loving these cookies. I can assure you that I will be making them throughout the year, not just at Christmas time!! To make them healthier I used whole wheat pastry flour and NuNaturals Tagatose. The only thing not healthy in the recipe is I used a stick of butter, but sometimes you just need butter!!
Normally I don’t care to make these kind of cookies because they are so time consuming. You know rolling them in a ball, dipping in egg white, then rolling in nuts, bake then fill. But this recipe only makes 24 cookies, so besides cooling time the whole process took about 30 minutes. Not to shabby!! Here is my favorite cookie, because he is ozzing with peanut butter!
The cookie was just calling me, so I did what anyone else would do and eat it!!
I know I wrote a post last week swearing off cookies, yah that lasted about 12 hours!! I have no control and I really do enjoy baking cookies! I think they are one of my favorite things to make!! There easy, fun and everyone loves them!!! The only issue is trying not to eat them all. Maybe I should start making things I wouldn’t eat? Nah, what fun would that be? Everything you see me post, I eat, unless I stated otherwise, but I eat 99.9% of everything!! They key is moderation and lots of exercise!
- Serves: 24 Cookies
- Serving size: 1 Cookie
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar ( I used NuNaturals Tagatose)
- 1 large egg, separated
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup honey roasted peanuts, chopped small
- ¼ jam, your favorite kind, I used Sugar Plum
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl add flour and salt, mix until combined; set a side.
- In a large bowl beat butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla extract. Add flour mixture, and beat until combined.
- In a small bowl, add egg whites and mix until frothy. On a plate add chopped nuts.
- Roll dough into 1" balls. Roll into egg mixture then into nuts. Place on baking sheet and make a thumb print into the middle ( I used the back of a teaspoon)
- Bake in oven for 8 - 10 minutes or until nuts are lightly brown.
- Place on cookie rack to cool. Once cool, evenly divide the peanut butter into the thumbprint, then top with jam.
Calories per cookie with sugar: 97.6, Fat: 6.6, Cholesterol: 18, Sodium: 33.3. Potassium: 4.3, Carbs: 8.3, Fiber: 1.1, Sugar: 3.4, Protein: 2
You can use the basic recipe to make any kind of thumbprints you like. If you’re a traditional thumbprint person, just add your jam to the center, then bake them. The cooking time will be about 2 minutes longer. Or you can add whatever kind of filling, just use your imagination, the combination possibilities are endless!!
Oh one last thing, I wanted to let you know I made it into Emeril’s Serious Sandwich Hall of Fame! He he You can check out the article here.
Have a great day everyone!
P.S. The winner of the Primula 3-in-1 Infuse Pitcher is
Your Winner – (confirmed)
Comment: I’d love to try raspberries and lemon in tea….what kind of fun could I have with iced coffee? Have never thought of infusing for that! Love following you on Pinterest! You rock!