Today I have a traditional, comforting, homemade potato soup that is creamy, thick and oh so delicious!! Plus, another post of Man Vs Woman potato soup toppings!!
I guess from the photo you can tell my Husbands toppings of choice was lots of gooey cheese topped with a pile of bacon! I’ll admit bacon goes nicely in potato soup! I made the bacon for breakfast and we had a few slices left over and just for my Husband I decided to crumble it on top of his soup! He loved it!! I’ll tell ya, one thing about bacon is that it photographs nicely. Can you keep a secret? I snuck a piece of bacon, but don’t tell anyone.
My topping of choice was a dollop of plain Greek Yogurt for extra creaminess, a sprinkle of cheese, a dash of smoked paprika and some scallions. I loved it!! It tasted like done up mashed potatoes! What is your favorite topping on potato soup? It’s such a versatile soup that you could add a lot of goodies to it.
This potato soup is very easy to make, the total time is about 40 minutes. The worse part is peeling the potatoes. I don’t know why, but I hate peeling them. Since the skin of the potatoes is the most nutritional part I would have left the skins on, but my Husband hates when I leave the skin on fruits and vegetables. The soup in general is very creamy, and the next day it’s even thicker and tastes even better. We had this two nights in a row. I really need to make potato soup more often. I always forget how good it is until I have it.
- Serves: A little over 6 cups
- Serving size: 1¼ Cups
- 1 tbsp. butter (I used Bummel and Brown)
- ½ cup (109 grams) onion, diced
- 4 large (2lbs) rustic potatoes, peeled, diced to bite size pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 tbsp. salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. black pepper to taste
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- Additional Toppings:
- Cheddar Cheese
- Greek Yogurt
- In a large potatoes add butter and onions, saute until slightly soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes to potatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered until potatoes are fork tender about 20 minutes.
- With an Immersion Blender, blend potato soup until creamy. Stir in salt, pepper and milk. On low heat simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add soup to a bowl and top with additional toppings.
It’s that time of year again! Think of all the shopping, baking, cooking and holiday preparation you are going to be doing! Sounds tiring, doesn’t it? I think you need a night off, don’t you agree? Why not stay in a night, to sit back, relax, watch a movie, paint your nails and eat guilt-free Popcorn Chips. I’m betting you think that sounds really nice and you know what? It is! I received the most fun gift basket from Kellogg’s Special K the other day! An adorable red basket full of fun girly goodies to relax me before the holiday season really kicks in. I spent my Saturday night watching a movie, painting my nails in the most beautiful red nail polish, which is perfect for the holiday’s and the best part is I ate Kellogg’s New Special K Popcorn Chips in Sweet & Salty. Oh my gosh they are so good. New Special K Popcorn Chips, in Sweet & Salty flavor, is a crunchy, irresistible taste that satisfies your sweet and savory cravings. These Special K Popcorn Chips are wonderfully addicting! Not only do they taste delish, they are only 120 calories for 28 of them! I love that! Now I can snack in the evening and not worry about the calories! Yah!!! I’m telling you, you will love them!!
Not only did I get beautifully wrapped up gift basket from Special K, but I was told I can give one to you to!! Woohoo!!!
This is what you will get: Redbox gift card for a DVD of your choice, a Red Carpet Manicure set and a bottle of “Big Apple Red” OPI nail polish and the best part a few samplings of Kellogg’s Special K Popcorn Chips!
Want to win this gift basket? All you have to do is answer this question: What is your favorite snack to eat while watching a movie?
For additional entries:
- Sign up for email/subscribe to Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Follow me on Twitter
- Follow Special K on Twitter @SpecialKUS
- Tweet my giveaway: Win a Kellogg’s Special K Girls Night Out Gift Basket from Peanut Butter and Peppers.@JenatPBandP @SpecialKUS
- Like Peanut Butter and Peppers on Facebook
- Facebook Like Special K
- Pin the giveaway on Pintrest
Comment: I love the “hers and his”! So cute 🙂 I haven’t made potato soup before, but I have always wanted to try it! My favorite snack during a movie is popcorn (even though EVERYONE says that, haha!)