You know how much I love the combination of tomatoes and basil, well today I am sharing with you another creation with tomatoes and basil. I went to the Farmer’s Market this past weekend and they had the best smelling tomatoes on the vine. I couldn’t resist buying some. So plump, juicy and reminds me of summer. I can’t wait to get my tomato plants into the garden. I also bought a basil plant from Trader Joe’s that I keep in the window sill in my kitchen for easy grabbing. With all of this excitement of fresh summery produce I made for you today a Caprese Egg Sandwich. Let me tell you, O.M.G!! It was so good. I can see having this a couple of times a week, yes I love it that much.
This sandwich really blew my mind. It’s savory, a little spicy because I used Jalapeno Bread that my friend sent me from Pennsylvania, plus it tastes fresh. The egg on the sandwich made is smooth and creamy. Talk about taking a basic sandwich up a notch, just add an egg. So good! I have had this recipe in mind for a couple of weeks and I am so glad I finally made it.
The sandwich is a breeze to make. Like I said, I used jalapeno sliced bread, but any kind of sandwich bread you like will work perfectly. I had mini mozzarella balls from Trader Joe’s and I sliced them in half and added it to my bread. Popped it in the broiler until the cheese started to melt. While I did that I cooked a simple fried egg. Topped my sandwich with tomatoes and put the egg on top than of course you can’t have a caprese without basil, so I added the basil over the top. It was amazing! Can you tell how excited this sandwich makes me?
- 2 slices bread (I used jalapeno bread)
- 2 oz mozzarella (I used Trader Joe's Ovoline Mini Mozzarella Balls)
- drizzle of olive oil
- 6 slices tomato
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. butter
- 2 basil leaves, finely sliced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the 2 slices of bread and top each bread evenly with mozzarella cheese. Place in broiler and cook until cheese is softened; about 1 minute. Take out of the oven and drizzle with just a pinch of olive oil. Place the bread on serving plate. Top with sliced tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Over medium low heat, in a small skillet; add butter. When butter melts, add the egg and cook for 2 minutes, flip and cook for about 1 minute. Place egg over sandwich. Sprinkle with salt & pepper if desired. Top with sliced basil.
This sandwich is perfect for dinner or breakfast. There are no rules when you want to have it. I bet it would even be good if you added a little bacon. Yum! I am looking so forward to Summer. I am already getting geared up with my summer recipes.
I hope you have a fabulous weekend!