Have you ever eaten at Red Lobster? You know the amazing rolls that they serve you when you arrive? Well today, I made a copycat recipe of these rolls. They are so good, light, fluffy, cheesy and a touch of savory. I am so happy with the outcome of these rolls. Yum!
The biscuits are super easy to make and take less than 10 minutes to put together. Of course there is baking time, which is probably the hardest part. The smell of them baking in the oven is divine. To keep the calories low, I used skim milk and reduced fat cheddar cheese. No one will notice, trust me.
To make them I just took some flour, baking powder, salt and garlic powder; mix together until combined. The I took some butter and added it to the flour. I used my hands to break down the butter. I know I should use a pastry cutter or two forks, but nothing like getting down and dirty when your baking. Then I added the cheese and milk. It comes together nicely. I grabbed some of the dough and shaped it lightly into a ball, then flattened it. You can drop it straight onto the baking sheet, but I found the dough to be crumbly.
Once I baked it, I brushed on some melted butter that was mixed with parsley, Old Bay Seasoning and a pinch of salt. Perfect! I served the right away. They would be so good served with a bowl of tomato soup. I have been craving tomato soup, it’s crazy. Maybe I should make some?
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 6 tbsp. butter, cold, cut in small pieces
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp. non-fat milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, reduced fat, shredded
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ tsp. parsley, dried
- ¼ tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder and mix until well combined. Add the butter and with two forks, break the butter into the flour mixture until the flour looks like pea shape and crumbly. I used my hands to do this.
- Add cheese and mix until combined. Add the milk and mix until just combined.
- Take about ¼ cup amount of dough and drop onto baking sheet. If the dough is too crumbly to drop, just use your hands to slightly shape into a ball. That's what I did.
- Bake in oven for 15 - 17 minutes, until the sides turn lightly golden.
- Meanwhile; in a microwave safe bowl, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Stir in parsley, Old Bay Seasoning and salt. Mix until combined. Brush butter mixture over biscuits, as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Serve immediately.
Yum, yum! I love these biscuits and I love how easy they are to make. I also like that I used reduced fat cheddar cheese and skim milk. I feel better about eating a few.
I wanted to let you know I have been sticking to my Fitbit, I have been trying to get my steps in and eating better. Since Christmas, I lost 1″ on my waist! Woohoo. The scale has been up and down, but in general I lost about 8lbs. All I am doing is stepping. I do it while watching my soap opera at night. Plus what I do during the work day, I get on average 7000 – 8000 steps a day. When I tell you stepping, I mean marching in place. Since I have been slacking on the exercise, I am taking it small steps, but making a lot of progress. Must start small to get something big.
Have a great day!