Today is a very special day! We are having a virtual birthday party for one of the most amazing ladies, Isabel! Who’s Isabel, you wonder? She is the lady behind #SundaySupper and Family Foodie. A little over 3 years ago I was invited to Sunday Supper by Isabel. At first I wasn’t sure, but how could I resist the concept of celebrating family with food on around the Sunday table. I have been blessed to be a part of this family. Isabel has given me so much that she probably doesn’t even realize. I actually got to meet Isabel last summer for the #ChooseDreams campaign. She is a fantastic woman who is driven for success, and is truly someone I look up too. Here is a picture of Isabel with Katie. Isabel is the woman on the right.
For today’s special day, I made Isabel, Birthday Blondies. I think every birthday needs to have sprinkles and what better way than with a cake like bar.
The Blondies are light, moist, sweet and has a little crunch from the sprinkles. I love the crunch! They are also a little bit on the healthy side. I made them with whole wheat flour and only a 1/2 stick of butter. Plus this recipe makes 24 two inch bars and are only 111 calories. I call that guilt free! So that means Isabel can have her dessert and her wine too! 🙂
Not only are these bars tasty, but they are such a breeze to make. I whipped these together in about 45 minutes, and that includes baking time. To make the bars I melted a 1/2 cup of butter and then stirred in brown sugar. Added the basics; eggs, flour etc… But one of the keys to giving this a birthday flavor is Butter Extract. Have you ever used Butter Extract? It really tastes like a birthday cake. If you don’t have it, don’t worry, it is not needed in this recipe. By the way, I bought the Butter Extract a Walmart.
- ½ cup butter
- 1½ cups brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. butter flavored extract, optional
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan.
- In a bow; add salt, all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, and baking soda. Mix until combined; set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan over low heat; melt the butter. Take off the heat and add the brown sugar, and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a medium-sized bowl. Allow it to cool to lukewarm.
- Mix in one egg at a time until incorporated. Stir in vanilla extract and butter extract. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture. Mix until no white streaks show.
- Evenly spread the mixture in the prepared pan, and bake the brownies for 30 to 35 minutes, until they're light brown on the edges and top.
- Remove them from the oven, loosen their edges with a table knife, and cool completely before cutting.
I am looking so forward to seeing what everyone has made for this special celebration. Nothing like having a big virtual birthday party for such a special person. Make sure you check out what everyone else has made. You know I will.
I want to wish Isabel a very Happy Birthday! May all of your dreams come true! Happy Birthday!
Have a wonderful week everybody!
Join me in celebrating Isabel’s Birthday with all the delicious food and drinks her #SundaySupper family prepared!
- Birthday Cake Cocktails by Daily Dish Recipes
- Blueberry Lavender Mojitos by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Caipirinha Colada by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure
- Fig-Bourbon Fizz by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mocha Martini by Desserts Required
- Mocha Mudslide by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Plum and Thyme Champagne Cocktail by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Summer Fizzies by Momma’s Meals
- 2-Ingredient Deviled Eggs by Shockingly Delicious
- Apple and Chorizo Crostini with Shallots and Basil by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Buffalo Chicken Wontons by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Burrata Caprese Crostini with Proscuitto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Chorizo and Kimchi Potato Pancakes from kimchi MOM
- Cotija and Roasted Corn Guacamole by Simply Healthy Family
- Gluten Free Basil Tomato Flatbread by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Salt Cod Fritters by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Chai Sweet Chili Chicken Flatbread by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Chorizo Eggs Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Espetada (Portuguese Beef Skewers) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Salmon Rice Salad by Magnolia Days
- Sofrito Marinated Beef Skewers by Nik Snacks
- Steak with Red Wine Reduction and Blue Cheese by The Weekend Gourmet
- Angel Food Cake by Feeding Big
- Birthday Blondies by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake with Buttercream Icing by Whole Food | Real Families
- Chocolate Doughnuts with White and Chocolate Glaze by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- French Vanilla Eclair Cake by Love and Confections
- Homemade No-Churn Nutella Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cheesecake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Italian Cream Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Japanese Cherry Blossom Brownies and 10 Tips on How-To Get Drunk With Happiness by NinjaBaker
- Mint Chocolate Cream Pie by gotta get baked
- Pink Lemonade Cookies by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Queijadas de Sintra by Food Lust People Love
- Red Currant Cheesecake Ice Cream by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Summer Peach Cake by The Wimpy Vegetarian
June @ How to Philosophize with Cake says
Those sound fantastic! Love the use of whole wheat flour 🙂 Perfect for a birthday bash!!
Hehe, I love how you’ve made these bars guilt-free. I would have never though to do so.
Yes, yes, YES PLEASE!
I could easily eat a few of these!
I love the use of whole wheat flour – these are practically a health food! Which means I don’t have to feel guilty when I eat half the pan in one sitting. These birthday blondies look fabulous, Jennifer, and so festive with the pretty coloured sprinkles!
Cindy Kerschner says
I’m a big blondie fan (bars and singer)! Love the candle on top!
Wendy, A Day in the Life on the Farm says
Yum, what is better than blondies? Blondies with sprinkles.
Bobbi from Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen says
YUM! Blondies are my FAVE!!
Renee Dobbs says
Yes! Blondies and sprinkles are needed for a birthday celebration. Well done.
Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere says
These look so festive and perfect for a birthday celebration! I love that you made them with wheat flour!
Family Foodie says
I love blondies and it has been such a pleasure getting to know you. We had so much fun in Madison, WI last summer. Thank you for all that you do Jennifer. xoxo
Terri/Love and Confections says
Love blondies – especially with sprinkles! Thank you for participating!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers says
Thank you for having me! 🙂