Today #SundaySupper teamed up with Wisconsin Cheese to share with you our favorite cheesy recipes. I am so excited to share with you today’s recipe because it takes basic Potato Au Gratin and it has been kicked it up a notch. I bet you know where I am going with this. I added jalapenos and bacon to my potatoes. Oh-My-Gosh!!!! It blows my mind on how good it tastes. Nothing beats when you create a recipe that you are just so excited to share with the world.
The potatoes are cheesy, chock full of bacon flavor with just a little kick of heat. I have to admit, this is by far my favorite Au Gratin Potato recipe of all time. The recipe is also easy to make too. I used Yukon potatoes to give it a creaminess, whole milk, butter, Mild Cheddar Wisconsin Cheese, bacon, jalapenos from the garden and of course love!
I cut my potatoes to 1/4″ thickness. You can use a mandolin, but I just used my knife. I did one layer of potatoes, and topped it with finely chopped onions, jalapenos, bacon and added a little ground pepper. After my first layer I made my cheese sauce, which is made with butter, flour, milk and of course Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese. I poured half of the cheese mixture over my potatoes and topped with remaining potatoes and cheese sauce.
I baked it in the oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes. My house smelled amazing. I let it cool for a little bit before serving it. You have no idea how I was tempted to dig into it as it came out of the oven, but I needed to wait for it to thicken up.
I have to tell you I was honored to be chosen to go to Wisconsin with Katie, Isabel, and Denise of #SundaySupper. We went to the Farmers Market and I have to tell you I never seen so much cheese. I tried Cheese Curd for the first time. Amazing! Plus, I was so drooling over all of the cheese with peppers in it. I happened to sneak some cheese home in my suitcase. 🙂 Here we are, you can just call us Cheese Heads!
- 4 (2lbs.)Yukon Gold Potatoes, sliced into ¼ inch slices
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 3 jalapenos, seeded, diced small
- 3 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 3 tsp. butter
- 3 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups Wisconsin Mild Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a 2qt. baking dish with cooking spray or butter
- In a saucepan over medium low heat, add butter and whisk until melted. Whisk in flour until thick; about 1 minute. Slowly add the milk and whisk until thick; about 3 minutes. Stir in cheese and whisk until melted.
- In your prepared baking dish, layer half of the potatoes, evenly distribute the onion, jalapeno and bacon. Sprinkle with ground pepper. Pour half of the cheese mixture over the top. Layer remaining potatoes over the top and pour remaining cheese. Sprinkle with salt.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 60 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 20 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
All I can say is yum!! I just love cheese! If you’re a cheese lover like me, you need to check out the Cheese Pinterest board. There are so many cheese recipes there! You can go Here!
Do you have a cheese recipe that you love? Why not enter the Wisconsin Cheese Contest from the Food and Wine Conference? You can see the information below. Just click here for more information.
You can check out Wisconsin Cheese at the following:
I hope you enjoyed today’s recipe as much as I have enjoyed sharing it with you. Nothing beats having fun in the kitchen. Get your Wisconsin Cheese and get creative. Be sure to look for the Wisconsin Cheese symbol (see below) to make sure you are getting real Wisconsin Cheese.
Have a wonderful day!
- Cheese Crispies by Shockingly Delicious
- Cheese Fondue by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Prosciutto Havarti Spinach Bundles by Daily Dish Recipes
Main Dishes with Cheese:
- Cheese Curd Stuffed Meatball Sliders by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cheesy Crab Stuffed Peppers by FoodieTots
- Cheesy Skillet Lasagna by Life Tastes Good
- Cheesy Vegetable Enchiladas by Alida’s Kitchen
- Fontina Chorizo Spinach Quiche by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Ham, Blackberry Ricotta, and Fresh Mozzarella Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Korean-style Poutine 2.0 by kimchi MOM
- Mozzarella, Tomato, and Basil Couscous Salad with Arugula by Ruffles & Truffles
- Pimento Cheese Potato Soup by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Sausage and Burrata Pasta by Family Foodie
Cheese Side Dishes:
- Cheesy Jalapeno and Bacon Potato Au Gratin by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chipotle Beer Mac & Cheese by One Sweet Mess
- White Mac and Cheese by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Coconut Lime Cheese Crepes with Brandied Cherry Topping by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Ricotta Cheesecake Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
10 Ideas for Cheese Dip Dippers by Sunday Supper Movement
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.