One thing I love is a good chocolate chip cookie. It is my all time favorite cookie and always brings back childhood memories of my Mom making them. One thing about chocolate chip cookies is that all the recipes are pretty much the same with a few tiny modifications that can really change-up a cookie. I took my basic, most requested chocolate chip cookie recipe and made some changes and now I have a new chocolate chip cookie recipe. Let me introduce to you the newest cookie member to my collections; The Dark Chocolate Chip Chewy Cookies.
These cookies have crispy edges, and rich gooey centers. Nothing beats a cookie when the chocolate sticks to your fingers. Yeah baby, that is what I am talking about. So if you love a soft, gooey cookie, these are the cookies for you.
The changes that I made are pretty minor. The one thing I did which I normally never do, is sift my flour. I’m kind of lazy when it comes to it, but I did it to try it out, and what a nice change it made. It made the cookie come out nice and light. I also added a little more vanilla extract, because I am a vanilla freak. Actually I used vanilla bean paste that I picked up in Berkeley, but vanilla extract will give you the same results. One thing I did to save on calories is that I only used 1 1/2 sticks of butter instead of 2 and I also used 1 cup of sugar total. Most cookie recipes use up to 2 cups. That’s way to much. For the chocolate chips, I used Guittard Extra Dark Chocolate Chips because I am a dark chocolate freak. You can use semi-sweet chocolate chips too. Both would be great in this recipe.
I’m kind of sad… I wish I made a double batch of cookies. Sigh… I already gave some to my Husband and to my co-workers. Now I have none for me. By the way this cookie recipe makes about 52 cookies. I ate some of the cookie batter, so I am sure I would have gotten more cookies. What is nice about these cookies is that they are only 83 calories each and they are so rich, you only need a couple. Not bad for a yummy chocolate chip cookie.
- 12 tbsp. (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup firmly-packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1½ tsp. vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups extra dark chocolate chips (I used Guittard Brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt; set a side.
- In a large bowl, add butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and beat until creamy. Beat in one egg until combined. Beat in vanilla until combined. Slowly beat in the flour mixture until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Take about heaping teaspoon size of dough and place 2" apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake in oven for 8 - 10 minutes, just until lightly browned around the edges. Let cool on baking pan for 2 minutes and place on a rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
I have to admit I have really fell in love with baking this past year. It’s my favorite thing to do in the morning. It’s so much fun and even though I sometimes change-up a traditional recipe, it’s always fun to go a little crazy and try something new.
What are your favorite things to bake?
Have a great day!