I have to admit I am on a major Fruit Loops kick. When I was in training in Napa Valley a couple of weeks ago, for breakfast they had boxes of cereal out and I saw Fruit Loops. I haven’t had them in years. I knew I would be hungry mid morning, so I took a box for my snack. I like to eat them plain with no milk. Well the craving came on more and more and every morning I would steal a few boxes of Fruit Loops. With my new-found craving I thought I would make Fruit Loops treats today.
These treats are sweet, fruity and perfect for making with kids. Plus it’s a fast treat to make. It’s made with marshmallow, butter and Fruit Loops Cereal. It’s the same basic recipe as Rice Krispie treats but made with Fruit Loops instead.
The recipe makes 24 bars and are only 77 calories each. I don’t think that is to bad for a sugary treat. To make; I just melted butter and marshmallows together, stir in the cereal and put in an 9 x 13 baking pan. How easy is that? It took me less than 10 minutes to make the recipe. The hardest part was waiting for them to harden up so I can cut them up and eat them. My bars are about 1 1/2″ in height, but if you like thick bars, you can add them to a 9 x 9 brownie pan. I like the shorter version, more to have for lunches.
- 3 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 10oz package of miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Fruit Loops cereal
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray; set a side.
- In a large pot, over medium low heat add butter and melt. Once butter is melted add marshmallows and stir constantly until melted. Take off heat and quickly stir in the Fruit Loops cereal.
- Pour cereal mixture into prepared pan and smooth out with a spatula sprayed with cooking spray. You can also spray your hands with cooking spray and push cereal down into pan.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.
I know this is a simple, random recipe, but it’s a perfect childhood treat. I was excited to make them and even more excited to eat them.
Have a great week!