I just love Easter! It is truly the sign of Spring. One of the best things about Easter or Passover besides chocolate, Easter Lilly’s, chocolate, ham, chocolate, spring clothes, chocolate and hard-boiled eggs is creating fabulous recipes with your leftover food! But one thing that is a tad hard for me is coming up with creative fun recipes using your leftover food. So today for #SundaySupper we are sharing with you recipes to make with your leftover food. I already got a sneak peek at some delicious looking recipes, so be sure to check them out at the end of the post. One thing I always have leftover is hard-boiled eggs. I tend to make a lot of them because I like to color them the night before Easter. It’s always been a family tradition. So with my leftover hard-boiled eggs I made for you Chunky Healthy Egg Salad.
My egg salad is so light, creamy, chunky and healthy and full of flavor. I never make egg salad until Easter time, I don’t understand why? Because it is so good. My egg salad is a little different from the traditional egg salad because it is made with tomatoes, chives, parsley greek yogurt, lemon juice and a pinch of mayonnaise. No one can tell it is healthy for you! It’s also so pretty when you put it together. Just look at the fresh tomatoes and herbs with my eggs.
What I like about this salad is that the hard-boiled eggs are cut into sixths so it’s nice and chunky. Plus adding tomatoes gives it a little bit of a different flavor. Egg salad is so versatile when it comes to flavor. If you like heat to your egg salad, add a pinch of cayenne pepper or siracha sauce. Yum!
I have to share with you how to make the perfect hard-boiled egg. This recipe will give you perfect eggs every-time and one thing is, don’t use just bought eggs from the grocery store otherwise they are hard to peel.
- Add eggs to a pot and just cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and cover and simmer for 15 minutes
- Run the pot with the eggs in it under cold water for 2 minutes.
- Take the eggs out and peel
- 6 eggs
- 1 tomato, diced small
- 3 tbsp. fresh chives
- 2 tbsp. parsley, chopped small
- ¼ cup, greek yogurt plain
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, add eggs and add water to 1 inch above the eggs. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Place the pot with the eggs in it and run cold water into the eggs for about 1 minute. Wait for eggs to cool, than peel the shell.
- Slice the eggs into sixths, add to a bowl with tomatoes, chives, and parsley. Gradually mix together.
- In a small bowl, add greek yogurt, mayonnaise, onion powder and lemon juice. Mix until well combined. Add to the egg mixture and mix until well incorporated. Taste test to see if you need salt and pepper.
- Serve as a sandwich, top on crackers or serve on a bed of lettuce. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
To make lower calorie and less cholesterol, add more egg whites and take out some of the yolk.
Place the egg shells in your garden for extra nutrition in your garden, plus put around plants to keep snails away.
This salad is perfect to eat on its own or served on a bed of lettuce, on crackers or as a sandwich. To make it fewer calories you can always add more egg whites and take out some of the yolk.
Oh and don’t throw out the egg shells, add them to the garden. It gives the garden extra nutrition and if you place the shells around your plant it prevents snails from eating your plant. I did that and it actually worked. I saved my basil! 🙂
I hope you have a great Easter
- Bacon and Sriracha Deviled Eggs by Casa de Crews
- Buffalo Blue Cheese Deviled Eggs by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Jalapeño Cilantro Deviled Eggs by Our Good Life
- Rissole by Brunch with Joy
- Savory Basque Tart by Food Lust People Love
Breakfast and Brunch
- Breakfast Burritos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Breakfast Enchiladas by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten-Free Ham Spinach & Gruyère Quiche by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Ham and Egg Hash by Whole Food | Real Families
- Matzo Brei Pancakes by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Savory Ham and Scallion Corn Cakes by The Weekend Gourmet
- Black Pepper Fried Brown Rice with Ham by Food Done Light
- Cajun Hambalaya by Palatable Pastime
- Cal-Mex Avocado and Egg Salad by eating in instead
- Chunky Healthy Egg Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Ham Fried Rice by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Kimchi Fried Rice by Wallflower Girl
- Pan-Fried Ham with Okra and Red-Eye Gravy by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salmon, Asparagus and Capers Panini by Family Foodie
Soups and Salads
- Ham and Corn Chowder by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Southern Ham Macaroni Salad by Magnolia Days
- Split Pea and Ham Slowcooker Soup by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Apple Blueberry Flip Flop by Recipe for Perfection
- Brownies with Kentucky Bourbon and Chocolate Mint Ganache by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Cadbury Egg Stuffed Croissants by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cheese and Pineapple Bread Pudding by Basic N Delicious
- Easter Candy Bark by Pies and Plots
- Easter Candy Brownie Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter Brownie No Bake Cheesecake by Recipes, Food and Cooking
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Matzo S’mores by Desserts Required
- Sunshine Cake by The Ninja Baker
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here—>Sunday Supper Movement.