As some of you know just about every Sunday morning I do some baking. Not only is it something that I like do, plus it feels great to share with my friends and family But one thing you may not know, but in my real job description the last bullet point says “other”. It’s something new that they put in my requirements. I was told the “other” means I have to bring cookies to work on Monday’s. I guess I can live with that and if making cookies gives me job security, I am happy to do it. lol So today is a brand new cookie recipe that I am sharing with you. They are True Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies. Why are they true? They are made with coconut oil, coconut extract and of course shredded coconut. They taste amazing! I will tell you the pictures do not do the cookies justice, at all. It’s cloudy out and it’s not very nice for taking photos. Food bloggers understand this.
The cookies are light, crispy edges and soft chocolaty gooey centers. They are so good. If you’re a coconut fan you will love these cookies. I have fallen in love with using coconut oil in my cookies. It gives the cookies a light buttery texture and people can not believe that there is no butter in the cookies. If you haven’t tried coconut oil in your cookies you should. Try this recipe to get you started on coconut oil baking. I have tried baking with coconut oil in the past and a lot of the times they come out a mess. So after much playing around with coconut oil, I finally came up with the perfect amount to use in baking.
I used Trader Joe’s chocolate chunk chips for the cookies but I also shaved a little bit of dark chocolate to give the cookies a more chocolaty flavor, plus I like the specks. Just use a chocolate bar and a vegetable peeler and peel away. I used very little in the recipe, maybe an ounce of dark chocolate. I was really looking for the speckles.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¾ cup virgin coconut oil, at room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar, not packed
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. coconut extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut, shredded, unsweetened
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips or dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat
- In a medium bowl; add flour, baking soda and salt; mix well; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat coconut oil, until creamy. Beat in brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla and coconut extract until creamy. Beat in one egg at a time until incorporated. Beat in flour mixture until just combined.
- Fold in coconut and chocolate chips.
- Take a round teaspoon size amount of batter and drop about 2" apart on to prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8-9 minutes, just until lightly golden on the bottom. Let cookies rest on baking sheet for 2 minutes. Then remove cookies to a cooling rack until fully cooled.
- Store at room temperature or you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
You can make this recipe dairy-free by using dairy free chocolate chips.
I hope you have a great week!