My absolute favorite side dish for Thanksgiving is stuffing. I make it every year and pretty much stick to the basics, which is apple and sage, but this year I totally changed it up and decided to make a Cajun Cornbread Stuffing. I thought why not? After all people are deep-frying turkey, grilling turkey, making cajun turkey, chipotle turkey and so on. So why not change-up the stuffing and make a stuffing that you and your guests will remember.
This stuffing is spicy, chock full of chicken sausage, bell peppers, scallions and more. It has a nice crusty topping and a moist center. I am not sure what I love more? The top or the center? Heck I love it all!!
- 4 cups Cornbread Stuffing (I used Glutino)
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 4 (12 oz pkg.)spicy fully cooked chicken sausage, diced small
- ¾ cup bell pepper, diced small
- ¾ cup chopped green onions
- ⅓ cup chopped shallots
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- 2 tbsp. chopped garlic
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. dried sage
- 1 tbsp. cajun seasoning
- ½ tsp. minced bay leaves (about 3 small)
- ¾ cup egg substitute or 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 cup low-salt chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a 9 X13 baking dish with cooking spray
- In a large skillet add butter, sausage, bell peppers, green onions, shallots, celery, garlic, thyme, sage, cajun seasoning and bay leaves; cook until softened and fragrant; about 10 minutes.
- Add sauteed vegetables into bowl with bread crumbs; add beaten egg,and chicken broth; mix until combined.
- Cover the stuffing with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Take the foil off and bake for 15 more minutes.
Sorry for not sharing to many pictures. The time of day that I took them, the photos turned out horrible. I used my cell phone to take the photos. I have to admit my phone takes nice photos. 🙂
Anyway, if you’re looking for a different spin to your stuffing you should try cajun style. If you’re a traditional stuffing lover, here are a few recipes I have made in the past.
Cornbread Apple Sage Stuffing
Apple Walnut, Cranberry Stuffing
Hmmmm, thought I had more stuffing recipes, guess not.
Have a super fabulous day!
This is what I am talking about! This is for real the dish people should make for Thanksgiving. Looks amazing.
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers says
Thank you! I have to agree! I love it!