You know it’s apple season and I couldn’t resist making some kind of treat using apples. Plus what goes with apples? Normally I would say cinnamon, but today it’s caramel. Ohhh, how I love caramel and apples. I remember as a kid my Mom used to but the pre-made caramel that wrapped around apples. Not sure what they were called but every Fall my Mom would make them. I actually like caramel apples better than candy apples. So today I took the combination that I love and made it into cake. Yum!!
This cake is light, fluffy and has lots of apple chunks, plus a nice touch of caramel without being to overwhelming. I simply love it. I made it and took it to work the next day and to my surprise it all got eaten up. However, I don’t know who couldn’t resist apples?
To make the cake I used butter, brown sugar, whole wheat pastry flour plus a Honey Crisp Apple. I love the Honey Crisp Apples. They are hard, sweet and great for baking. For the caramel I just drizzled 1 tablespoon of Trader Joe’s Caramel Sauce. I never tried it, but it was calling to me when I was in the store and I just had to put it in a baked good. It’s a lot better doing that, than spooning it in my mouth. The stuff is amazing!
This recipe makes 12 nice size bars and is only 154 calories, which I don’t think is to bad considering I used butter, brown sugar and caramel. I am pretty happy with these and it makes for a nice snack when you come home from work or school and you just need something sweet.
- ½ cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup egg substitute or 1 egg
- ½ whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and diced (I used Honey Crisp)
- 1 tbsp. caramel sauce (I used Trader Joe's)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray and 8 x 8 brownie pan with cooking spray
- In a large bowl add butter, sugar and egg; beat until creamy.
- In a medium bowl add whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt; mix until combined.
- Gradually stir in flour mixture into butter mixture, just until combined. Stir in apples.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Drizzle caramel sauce over the top of the batter. With a knife; swirl the caramel. Place in the oven and bake for 25 - 30 minutes, until center comes out clean with a toothpick.
I bet this cake would also taste great sided with just a tiny scoop of vanilla bean ice cream or even some caramel ice cream. Yummy! I am just so excited for apple season. There are so many fun things I can’t wait to try.
You have to tell me, what is your favorite kind of apple treat?
Have a great day!
Feel free to leave a comment :)