Today were #SundaySupper we are celebrating National Acorn Squash Day! However, we are celebrating all kinds of squash, from zucchini, to pumpkin. Today I am sharing with you one of my top three squashes, next to butternut, acorn and pumpkin which is Delicata Squash. Have you ever had Delicata Squash? It’s kind of mix between butternut squash and acorn squash, the only difference is you can eat the skin, which makes for easy cooking.
I made a sweet and savory dish made with roasted delicata squash and pears, that have been roasting in coconut oil, maple syrup, brown sugar and salt. It has a nice hint of sweetness from the sugar and maple syrup and the savoriness comes from the salt. I love this dish and makes for a perfect side dish with pork or turkey.
I waned to let you know that you can buy Delicata Squash at Trader Joe’s for 99 cents. You can get any size for that cost. That is one thing I like about TJ’s, you can buy any size squash for the same price, which can be a big money saver, since most stores sell it buy the pound. To make the dish, I cut the squash horizontally, scrapped out the seeds and cut the squash into 1/4″ pieces. I cut the pears and added it to a bowl and tossed it with maple syrup and coconut oil. I laid it on a baking sheet,sprinkled with brown sugar and salt and baked it for about 20 minutes. It is fork tender and mighty delish. It’s even good to eat cold. I snacked on leftovers the next day. Oh and the smell of it baking is simply amazing. Your house will smell like Fall.
- 1 Delicata Squash, large (591 grams)
- 2 medium pears, seeded, diced ¼" thick
- ½ tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- a few dried cherries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray; set a side.
- Cut squash in half length wise. Scrap out the seeds and cut squash into ¼" pieces.
- Add squash and pears to a bowl, top with coconut oil and maple syrup. Toss until the squash and pears are coated. I used my hands. Place the mixture onto prepare baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and brown sugar.
- Bake in oven for 15 to 20 minutes until squash is for tender, flipping half way through.
- Place in a bowl or plate, toss with dried cherries and serve. A great compliment to pork or turkey.
One of my favorite things for the Fall season is squash. I simply love it! Oh and pumpkin, oh my, I have been on a major kick! Once September comes I am all about pumpkin! Stay tuned for more fun squash recipe to come this season.
Be sure to check out the amazing squash recipes from the #SundaySupper gang.
Have a great Sunday!
- Bourbon Pumpkin Pie in a Glass from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Spaghetti Squash and Zucchini Pancakes from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Zucchini Pizza Bites from Mommas Meals
- Zucchini Tomato Focaccia Bread with Pretzel Salt from Family Foodie
Pickles & Relish:
Soups & Salads:
- Creamy Dairyfree Zucchini Soup from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli e Zucchini from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pumpkin Soup with Bacon and Persimmon from Culinary Adventures with Camillia
- Tofu Vegetable Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Zucchini Cheese Soup from Noshing with the Nolands
- Zucchini Noodles with Basil Vinaigrette from Ruffles and Truffles
- Acorn Squash Ramen from Ninja Baking
- Beef, Butternut & Potato Pie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Ragu over Spaghetti Squash from The Texan New Yorker
- Black Bean, Butternut Squash & Millet Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Ancho-Guajillo Chile Sauce from Simply Healthy Family
- Chorizo-Stuffed Zucchini from La Cocina de Leslie
- Gluten Free Zucchini Noodles & Meatballs from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Italian Sausage Zucchini Lasagna from Curious Cuisiniere
- Risotto with Butternut Squash, Chicken and Sage from Cooking Chat
- Sausage and Farro Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Cups from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sesame Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles) from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole from Shockingly Delicious
- Spinach and Mushroom Quiche with Spaghetti Squash Crust from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Stuffed Red Kuri Squash from Food Lust People Love
- Zucchini-Corn Pancakes from The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Thyme Baked Acorn Squash from An Appealing Plan
- Creamy Baked Acorn Squash from Simply Gourmet
- Grilled Zucchini and Corn Succotash from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Kabocha no Nimono (Simmered Acorn Squash) from A Mama, Baby and Shar Pei in the Kitchen
- Roasted Kabocha Squash from Peaceful Cooking
- Roasted Zucchini and Yellow Squash Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Spaghetti Squash Fritters from Nosh My Way
- Sweet and Savory Roasted Delicata Squash and Pear from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Zucchini Succotash Cobbler with Cornbread Topping from The Wimpy Vegetarian
Sweets to Start or End the Day:
- Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Zucchini Coffeecake with Chocolate Crumb from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chocolate Zucchini Pancakes from Brunch with Joy
- Granny’s Zucchini Bread from Pies and Plots
- Pumpkin Cheesecake French Toast Roll Ups with Pumpkin Spice Dipping Sauce from Chocolate Moosey
- Pumpkin Cookie Butter Cinnamon Buns with Cookie Butter Glaze from Grumpy’s Honey Bunch
- Pumpkin Pie Layer Cheesecake Bars from Wallflour Girl
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookies from Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Zucchini Brownies from Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Zucchini Lemon Ginger Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.