Today for #SundaySupper we had to make a recipe to bring to a barbecue! One thing I never brought to a barbecue was cake! So I thought hmmmmm, why not bring cake? I was at the Farmers Market and I saw the sweetest, most plump blackberries ever and I thought, yup these would be perfect for my cake. Off to the kitchen I ran and after whipping, beating and baking I had a beautiful, low-calorie cake that would please any blackberry lover, like me!
This cake is light, full of flavor, sweet and mighty delicious! You get a taste of a juicy blackberry in every bite!! Not only is it yummy, but it is also very easy to make and low-calorie too! I am in cake heaven with today’s recipe!! I love simple cake recipes like this!
The cake is super easy to make too! I just whipped my eggs, sugar, vanilla until it’s light and fluffy, then I added my flour mixture and carefully spread it in my springform pan. The hardest part about the recipe is spreading the batter. The batter is kind of thick. Then I added my juicy, sweet blackberries that has been soaking in lemon juice and sugar. I baked it in the oven for 40 minutes and it was done. The key to this cake is letting it rest so all the flavors come together! It also travels very well too! Perfect for bringing to a party!
- 2 cups blackberries
- ¾ tsp. lemon juice
- ½ cup plus 1 tbsp., granulated sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease a 9-inch spring form pan and line the bottom with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, toss the blackberries with the lemon juice and 1 Tablespoon of the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, and the salt.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and ½ cup of sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low, beat in the sifted ingredients. Do not over beat. Scrape into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Scatter the berries and any juices over the batter.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 40 - 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and the cake just begins to pull away from the sides.
- Cool in the pan for 30 minutes.
- Spring the cake free, then finish cooling completely.
- Slide a wide, thin spatula under the cake to transfer it to a large plate. Wrap tightly with plastic and let mellow at room temperature for several hours or overnight before eating.
This cake tastes amazing sprinkled with a little powdered sugar and a dollop of whip cream, but it’s also darn good served with a side of vanilla ice cream, my favorite! Funny, as much as I love blackberries, I rarely every buy them, but after tasting how sweet blackberries are right now, I need more!! trust me and go pick up some blackberries! I can’t get over how sweet they are!
Be sure to see what the others will be bringing to the party today!
Have a fab Sunday!
- Best Wines For A Summer BBQ Party from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Grilled Peach and Cinnamon Whiskey Sour from Peaceful Cooking
- How To Make Fresh Squeezed Lemonade from Life Tastes Good
- Pineapple Margaritas from The Messy Baker
- Stone Fruit Sangria from Because I Like Chocolate
- Strawberry Lemonade from Basic N Delicious
- BBQ Stuffed Calimari from Jane’s Adventure in Dinner
Sides and Accompaniments
- Cucumber Salad with Blackberry Browned Butter Vinaigrette from Nik Snacks
- Easy Fruity Salad from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Grilled Corn on the Cob with Lime Butter from The Redhead Baker
- Jacques’ Cucumber Salad with Onions from Food Lust People Love
- Mango Peanut Slaw from The Texan New Yorker
- Mom’s Classic Macaroni Salad from Webicurean
- Roasted Strawberry BBQ Sauce from Bobby’s Kozy Kitchen
- Two Tomato Chutney from What Smells So Good?
- Asian-Style Pasta with Gochujang Peanut Sauce from Wallflour Girl
- Barbecue Ribs from girlichef
- BBQ Stuffed Peppers from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Bistecca from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Competition Baby Back Ribs with Apple-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Clams with Chorizo from Noshing With The Nolands
- Grilled Sanma from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Grilled Shrimp with Lemon Basil from Nosh My Way
- Grilled Swordfish and Eggplant with Fusilli and Tomatoes from Cooking Chat
- Grilled Wings from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Oregano Spatchcock Chicken from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mango Beef Kebabs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Steak Skewers with Chimichurri from Jelly Toast
- Sweet and Tangy Blueberry BBQ Chicken Pizza from Simply Gourmet
- Amazing S’mores 7-Layer Bars from Flavor Mosaic
- Banana Pudding Pie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Blackberry Cake from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Blueberry and Raspberry Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Farm Stand Blackberry Buckle from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Grilled Peach Crumble from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone Cream and Sweet Balsamic Syrup from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Hot Fudge Ice Cream Pie from Melanie Makes
- Lemon Ricotta Bars from The Foodie Army Wife
- Old Fashioned Sour Cherry Pie from Pies and Plots
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- S’mores Chocolate Cookie Cups from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.