You have no idea how excited I am for today’s recipe! This is the first time I ever made real ice cream! It turned out perfect!! It is so creamy and the best part is it doesn’t turn as hard as a rock in the freezer! Woohoo!! I was inspired to make real ice cream because I signed up to participate in the OXO #IceCreamForOXO campaign. So what kind of ice cream did I make? Cherry Bourbon Vanilla Bean Ice Cream.
This ice cream is amazing! You really get to taste all of the flavors. You get a nice, subtle bourbon flavor, you also taste the vanilla bean and you get little chunks of cherries. I am so proud of this recipe. The ice cream is so creamy, rich, totally scoopable and super easy to make, thanks to my OXO products. Oh here’s a close up of the vanilla bean.
For making the ice cream, I used heavy cream and half and half to make the creamy base. I used my OXO Angled Measuring Cup to measure my liquids.
I added my liquids to a medium sauce pan and added bakers sugar. If you’re not sure what bakers sugar is, it’s a really fine sugar. I used it instead of granulated sugar so it wouldn’t be gritty. However, I really do think granulated sugar would work ok. I also added a pinch of salt and a vanilla bean. I cooked it until it thicken up slightly then I let it cool for about an hour.
I used 3 egg yolks in the recipe, I beat them up n a mixing bowl, added a little bit of the cream mixture, beat some more than poured the egg mixture into the pan with the cream. I gave it all a good mix and placed it in a metal bowl. I whisked in the bourbon and the cherries and place it in the refrigerator for 8 hours or up to 24 hours. I added it to my ice cream maker, then poured it into my Locktop Medium Square container form OXO. It’s perfect because it’s freezer safe and stored my ice cream perfectly!
This ice cream was a hit with friends and family. I was always afraid to make real ice cream because I thought it would be hard, but you know what? It’s not. It’s so easy!! I highly recommend making your own ice cream. Use the base of this ice cream and add your favorite ingredients!
- ½ cup fine bakers sugar or granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup half & half
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean or 3 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. Bourbon
- 1 cup cherries, pitted, cut in quarters
- In a heavy sauce pan, Whisk together sugar, salt, whipping cream and half and half. Split vanilla bean down the center and scrap out the seeds with a pairing knife and add to the cream mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly; about 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat and cover for one hour. This will really infuse the vanilla flavor.
- In a large metal bowl, whisk egg yolks until slightly thickened and pale yellow in color. Gradually whisk in 1 cup of the hot cream mixture into yolks. Add yolk mixture to remaining cream mixture, whisking constantly. Cool 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in bourbon and cherries, cover with plastic wrap, and chill 8 to 24 hours.
- Pour into ice cream maker and follow manufactures instructions.
- For soft serve, serve right away or place in freezer for up to one month.
Calories: 332, Fat: 27, Cholesterol: 163, Sodium: 37, Carbs: 18, Fiber: .03, Sugar: 16, Protein: 3.2
Guys, I really highly recommend trying your own hand at making ice cream. It is fabulous and feels like a great accomplishment. I was so excited about making it, that I already have another recipe in mind that I will be making soon!
If you want to check out OXO on the Social Media go to the following links:
Have a wonderful day!
This post is sponsored by OXO. I received free product, but all opinions are my own.