Happy 4th of July! I thought today I would share with you one last healthy recipe for your holiday weekend!! This is my Grilled Zucchini and Tomato Packets. This is so perfect for a light side dish to serve with whatever yummy dish you cook on the grill.
The foil packets is filled with fresh tomatoes, zucchini and basil that I picked from the garden. I don’t know what it is, but nothing in the world tastes like a tomato that you pick from the garden. Now if you do not have tomatoes growing in your garden, I highly recommend heading to your local farmers market and picking up a few! I also added a dash of salt and pepper for seasoning and to save on calories I used cooking spray instead of olive oil.
I cooked my vegetables in a foil packet that I made with aluminum foil. I just took about a 12″ sheet, sprayed it with cooking spray and added my vegetables. Sprayed the vegetables with cooking spray and sealed up the foil. It is so easy to make the packets. I just brought the edges up and lightly sealed it. I placed it on the grill over medium heat and cooked it for about 10 minutes.
Once the packets were done I just opened them up and ate the vegetables straight out of the packets! You could also make these packets ahead of time, place them in your cooler or refrigerator and pop on the grill at dinner time. You could also add some onions or bell pepper to add additional flavor.
- 2 cup zucchini, sliced (about one large zucchini)
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 3 basil leaves, sliced
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- cooking spray
- Heat grill medium low heat
- Take about two 12" pieces of aluminium foil and spray with cooking spray. Evenly divide the zucchini onto the center of each piece of foil. Evenly divide the tomatoes on top of the zucchini, along with basil, and add a dash of salt and pepper. Spray the vegetables with cooking spray.
- Make a foil packet by bringing the two long sides together, fold foil over the food. Fold over three or more times. Fold and crimp remaining sides.
- Place on grill and cook for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve in packet or on plate.
I hope you have a wonderful, fun and safe holiday weekend! We will be catching the fireworks show tomorrow night and maybe doing a barbecuing today!
Have a great weekend!