Last week when I was at work, one of my co-workers said can you make chocolate chip cookies? You know the full fat kind? Well, that’s a silly question, you know I can. So I told her yes I’ll make some and bring some into work. Well the night before, I realized I was out of butter. Crap!!! Now what? Then the little light bulb appeared above my head!! I know what to do! So I took my traditional chocolate chip cookies and used coconut oil instead of butter. Made them up and brought them to work. My gosh everyone loved them and I mean loved them. They couldn’t believe they were made without butter. With all the great reviews, I thought, why not share that recipe with my readers. They are extremely good and worth sharing! So, take in mind, that these are not quite healthy, but I did reduce the sugar and chocolate in them to lightened them up a bit.
These cookies, are soft, moist, slightly crispy, chocolaty and have a wonderful hint of coconut. You must like coconut if you are making these cookies. Another thing that is a must is using good chocolate chips! I highly, highly recommend using Trader Joe’s semi-sweet chocolate chunks. They are amazing!! They work perfectly in these cookies. I also used Trader Joe’s Organic Coconut Oil. Gosh, I really love Trader Joe’s!
One thing about these cookies is that they are addicting and messy. Yes messy! The ooey gooey chocolate melts on your fingers. I actually kind of like that! Plus they also melt in your mouth. Guys, you have to make these cookies! I had to say it, but it’s so true! I was shocked on how good these are! Shocked I tell ya! Maybe one of the best cookies I have ever made!!
To make them it’s just as easy as making chocolate chip cookies. I creamed the coconut oil before I added the remaining ingredients. Doing this keeps the oil nice and even in the batter. Oh and the batter tastes so good too! I kind of have a bad thing for cookie batter! It’s my favorite part of making cookies!! I just added the rest of my ingredients and baked them. Oh and the smell of them baking, Ammaazzing!! I have to tell you, chocolate chip cookies are by far my favorite cookie, with peanut butter and snickerdoodles coming in next.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¾ cup virgin coconut oil, at room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar, not packed
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1⅓ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Trader Joe's semi-sweet chunks)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat
- In a medium bowl; add flour, baking soda and salt; mix well; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat coconut oil, until creamy. Beat in brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla extract until creamy. Beat in one egg at a time until incorporated. Beat in flour mixture until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Take a round teaspoon size amount of batter and drop about 2" apart on to prepared baking sheet. Bake for 9-10 minutes, just until lightly golden on the bottom. Let cookies rest on baking sheet for 2 minutes. Then remove cookies to a cooling rack until fully cooled.
- Store at room temperature or you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
You know in life where sometimes you need to toot your own horn? Well this is one of them. I am so proud of these cookies. I froze a batch of them to take to work. I am sure my co-workers will be thrilled. I love sitting in my office and hearing them in the kitchen, going, look at what Jen brought. Then you hear the oh man, why? Next thing you know the plate is empty! That always makes me feel good! 🙂
Have a great chocolaty day!