You know what the next big event is coming? Nope not Valentine’s Day, but the Super Bowl! I love the Super Bowl! I am not talking about the game, but I am talking about the food! I just love football food! You know what I’m talking about, chicken wings, dip, nachos, pretzels, hot dogs, hamburgers and Cheese Steak!! You know all the things that aren’t exactly healthy for you! Well, to keep up with my holiday resolutions, I came up with a Lightened Up Philly Cheese Steak that will fill you up and keep your fingers for reaching for other treats that maybe near you!
This cheese steak tastes amazing! It’s full of fork tender meat, peppers, onions and melted cheese. It’s just perfect!!! This is one sandwich that I am proud of and I don’t feel a bit guilty eating it! To cut down on the calories I used flank steak instead of strip loin, which is way less calories 1/2 an ounce of provolone cheese and the real calorie savor I hollowed out my hoagie rolls. Do you hollow out your rolls? All you do is take out the bread inside of the roll, leaving a bread core. It makes a nice pocket, that way you can add more meat, peppers and onions. Doing this you will save anywhere from 50 to a 100 calories a sandwich. My goal was to get my sandwich under 400 calories and I did that! My Lightened Up Philly Cheese Steak is only 396 calories!! Woohoo!! Normal Cheese Steak is anywhere from 700 – 1200 calories. That’s crazy!!! Plus my sandwich is not greasy!!
One big benefit of this recipe is that it is so easy and quick to make! I made it in my new Crock-Pot® Programmable Slow Cooker with iStir™ Stirring System. Just add all of your ingredients (except the bread and cheese) into the Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker, and walk away! Easy, peasy!! You have to love the convenience and the ease of pressure to have dinner ready or missing any of the big game!
I do love these kind of sandwiches! As you know I am a sandwich fanatic!! The real proof of how the sandwich tasted was my Husband. He gave it two thumbs up! Double Woohoo!!
- 1½ lbs flank steak
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 large bell peppers, seeded, sliced into strips
- 1 tbsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups beef broth
- 8 hoagie rolls (I used Francisco International)
- 4 oz slices provolone cheese
- Season flank steak with black pepper and garlic.
- Spray a Crockpot with cooking spray; add onions, flank steak and top with sliced bell pepper. Add Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Set Crockpot on low for 8 hours or 4 hours on high.
- Meanwhile, just before serving. Take your hoagie roll, cut it in half the long way and carefully core out some of the center. This will make your sandwich less calories and it will hold more filling.
- Take the flank steak out of the crockpot and thinly slice it, it will fall apart. Add 3 oz of flank steak to hoagie roll and top with onions and peppers. Add half an ounce of provolone cheese to sandwich and place on a baking sheet and broil until cheese melts. Be careful to make sure it doesn't burn. Do the same for the remaining sandwiches.
I mentioned a giveaway, didn’t I? Well I have the most awesome Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker giveaway for you!! Let me introduce to you the NEW Crock-Pot® Digital Slow Cooker with iStir™ Stirring System. This is not the same traditional Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker your used too! The Crock-Pot® Digital Slow Cooker with iStir™ Stirring System has two removable stirring paddles: general purpose paddle and stew paddle. The paddles are just awesome and perfect for soups, stews, chili and sauces. Plus it has a controllable timer, so you can set your Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker from 30 minutes to 20 hours. This is great for those who work early and have a long commute, like me. I am loving this Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker and I think you will too! You can get more information and watch the video on how it works here.
Here are the stats for the NEW! Crock-Pot® Digital Slow Cooker with iStir™ Stirring System:
- 6-quart capacity
- Serves 6-8+ people
- Includes iStirTM Automatic stirring system with two removable stirring paddles: general purpose paddle and stew paddle
- Also includes removable Classic Lid Handle for stirless cooking
- Programmable control panel with digital countdown timer allows you to set cooking time anywhere between 30 minutes to 20 hours
- HIGH/LOW temperature settings
- Automatically shifts to WARM when cooking is complete
- Removable oval stoneware
- Dishwasher-safe stoneware and glass lid
- Polished, silver stainless steel exterior with black accents and plastic handles
Ready to win your very own Crock-Pot® Digital Slow Cooker with iStir™ Stirring System? All you have to do is tell me what your favorite Crock-Pot Slow Cooker recipe is?
For additional entries:
- Follow Peanut Butter and Peppers and or CrockPotRecipes Twitter
- Tweet my giveaway: Win Crock-Pot Digital Slow Cooker w/ iStir Stirring System at Peanut Butter & Peppers http://www.peanutbutterandpeppers.com/2014/01/07/lightened-up-philly-cheese-steak-crock-pot-giveaway/ @JenatPBandP @CrockPotRecipes
- Follow Peanut Butter and Peppers and/or Crock-Pot Slow Cooker on Facebook
- Follow me on Pintrest and / or Crock-Pot Slow-Cooker
- Follow me on Instagram and /or Crock-Pot
I am telling you, you will love this Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker! You already know I am a fan, but this Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker makes life so much easier, especially when you are to busy to cook! Or shhhh, your to lazy to cook! 🙂 You know what I’m talking about, we all have those days. lol
Have a fabulous day!
P.S. I was given an Crock-Pot® Digital Slow Cooker with iStir™ Stirring System to try. The opinions in this post are my own. I was not paid nor told what to say or post.
My favorite thing to make in a slow cooker is Swiss steak. I use a pound of thin round steak, pounded even thinner, cut it into 3 to 4 inch “squarish” pieces, which I then salt, pepper, and dredge in flour. I heat some oil in a skillet and brown the pieces on both sides; layer them in the slow cooker with sliced onion, celery, and crushed whole tomatoes with the juice (1 large can). Cook on low for several hours, or until the meat is fork tender. Serve over mashed potatoes. This is a family favorite and so easy!