Do you ever have a fantasy? You know a good one? One that is meaningful, one that isn’t forgetful and one that has an outcome that puts a smile on your face? Well I have a fantasy for my Husband, so I shall write this post, as if I Was talking to my Husband. Do I dare do this? I’m a little embarrassed, but I don’t keep much from you, so I must. But before I share my fantasy with you, let me share this with you first.
Ok, here it goes…. Yes I baked this bread for you! It’s thick, oh so moist and filled with one of your favorite things, Diamond of California Walnuts. It is slightly crumbly, with a little chew from the dates and it’s made with whole wheat because I love you. It’s also sweet, but not over powering because my love for you is sweet enough. Would you like to take a piece of my bread? I know you want to, just look at it, it’s calling you.
But before I give you a piece of my bread, I need you to do something for me instead. Go get your baseball cap and your overalls, you know how I like a man who is dressed for the occasion. Now are you ready for my fantasy to come true? I just need you to start here in the kitchen, where this beautiful bread was made. Look into my eyes as I lean against the counter. Follow my fingers as they point to my cabinets. The ingredients for this bread needs a place to be stored, so it’s time to take down the kitchen cabinets and install new ones. I know this may not be what you’re expecting, but after all the bread is made from the heart and the heart starts in the kitchen. I know you may need stamina to keep you motivated, this bread was made with that in mind, after all it has Diamond of California Walnuts. And we all know that Diamond of California Walnuts gives you energy. 😉
- 1 cup pitted dates, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup warm water
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. rum extract
- 1 cup Diamond of California Walnuts, chopped small
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease 1 large loaf pan with cooking spray; set a side.
- In a small bowl add pitted dates and warm water and let it soak for at least 10 minutes; set a side.
- In a large bowl, mix butter, sugar and the eggs until combined. Stir in vanilla and rum extract; mix until incorporated. Add pitted dates, water the dates were soaking in, Diamond of California Walnuts, baking soda, salt; mix until combined. Add the flour and stir just till incorporated.
- Spoon batter prepared loaf pan. Use the back of the spoon to smooth batter out.
- Bake for 45 - 50 minutes up to 1 hour (my oven cooks quick, mine took 45 min)or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack.
He he! Did you like my fantasy? It’s funny how baking something good and delicious can help make a dream come true. I am partially there and if I keep backing goodies like my Date and Walnut Quick Bread, I will be sure to have an all new kitchen. Do you have a baking fantasy? If you do, you must share! Speaking of sharing, here is a link to the Diamond of California Nuts Baking Fantasy videos. Guys, I kid you not you have to watch these videos. I watched them all and cracked up!! They are too funny, really, you have to watch them. My favorite one is The Diamond Cinnamon-Glazed Walnuts. The Guys is to funny and kind of creepy, but they are all funny. Here is the link.
Well my Friends, I hope you like today’s post. I had a lot of fun making it and really the bread is amazing! Probably one of the best quick breads I have ever made. It would be perfect toasted with a little butter or eat it plain, like I did of the 3 slices that I had.
Now be sure to bake up one of your fantasies tonight, you just never know, your fantasy may come true! 🙂