Today I have for you a yummy breakfast treat that will give you a reason to wake up in morning! Do you like muffins with a sweet crumble topping? I thought so! I had some pears from my CSA Box and I had to use them up so I thought why not pear muffins? It’s one of those recipes that I have had in the back of my mind for while now, so I thought why not make them today?
These muffins are amazing! They are light, fluffy, sweet and LOADED with little chunks of pear. The crumble topping is so sweet and really make this muffin pop! I am just loving them! Plus as a bonus they are healthy, low-calorie and a sure treat for a weekday morning. I froze the batch of muffins in the morning I nuke them in the microwave for a few seconds and they turn out perfect!! Nothing like a warm muffin, cur in half with a smear of butter melting all over it. *Drooling*
One of the key things when making these muffins is spraying your muffin liner with cooking spray. If you don’t the paper will stick to the muffin! It’s because of the pear chunks. The pear pokes through the muffins, which I think is a good thing. The more pear the better!!
The topping is made with brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter! Oh the crumble topping! I swear I could just eat that! It’s so delicious! I made the crumble using my fingers to work it all together, and let me tell you, muffin top on your fingers is a wonderful thing! 🙂 You just don’t want muffin top around your jeans! lol! I think I may have had a little to many muffins in my life time.
- ¾ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 5.3 oz container vanilla greek yogurt
- ½ cup sugar or presweet tagatose
- ¼ cup egg substitute or 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted (or canola oil)
- 2 tbsp. milk (your favorite kind)
- ¾ cup pears, peeled, diced small
- Crumb Topping
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, cold
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly grease 12 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers sprayed lightly with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together yogurt, sugar, egg, coconut oil and milk; until combined. Stir the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in pear.
- Evenly scoop batter into prepare muffin cups. I filled my batter to the top of the muffin tin. That way it would rise over the top.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Sprinkle topping over muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Note: You can use plain greek yogurt instead of vanilla, just add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to batter.
I told you the other day I saw the movie Gravity. Wow,I thought it was a great movie. We saw it on IMAX in 3D. The graphics were amazing. I don’t want to tell you about it in case you haven’t seen it, but all I can say is Sandra Bullock had one bad day!! I highly recommend the movie. George Clooney was charming in the movie too. I like him in these kind of roles.
Well that’s it for me! Time to get baking! I have to come up for a recipe for #SundaySupper and I’m kind of stumped, so it will be a trial and error day!
Have a wonderful day!