At the end of July I went peach picking and to my surprise I saw something unexpected. Something that made me happy and something that also made me sad. It was the turning of the leaves. The tree leaves were turning golden and falling to the ground. Little did I know, cooler weather came to California a tad early this year. It makes me sad because I am a summer person. I love the sun, the heat, the fresh summer produce and again the sun, but it will be gone soon. But what made me happy was knowing fall will be here and I love fall produce like sweet potatoes, pumpkins, apples, butternut squash, pumpkins, spaghetti squash, pumpkins, acorn squash and did I mention pumpkin? However, truthfully I am not ready for summer to be over yet. But since the weather is cooling and the leaves are turning, I thought why not make a fall parfait to go with what feels like fall.
This breakfast parfait screams fall!! It’s loaded with apples, cinnamon, yogurt, overnight oats and drizzled with maple syrup. It’s like an apple pie in a jar. Each bite you get a sweet apple that has been tossed in cinnamon and stevia, yum! Then you hit the creamy oats that have soaked overnight in milk, chia seeds and more cinnamon. Oh baby!! I mention cinnamon a few times, but trust me the cinnamon is not over powering in this breakfast parfait at all.
A fall parfait wouldn’t be a fall parfait without the drizzle of maple syrup over the top. Just one teaspoon is the perfect amount. Just mix it into the jar and you have a natural sweetness that is so irresistible. This jar has it all and is so perfect for breakfast since it contains protein, good carbs, fiber and natural sugar. Serve it in a mason jar and you can put the lid on and take it with you to go.
- Over Night Oatmeal:
- ¼ cup Old fashion Oats (I usd gluten free rolled oats)
- ⅓ cup milk, non-fat (or milk of choice)
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- The Mix:
- ½ cup greek yogurt, plain 0% fat, divded
- 1 apple, cored, diced into bite size pieces, divided
- ¼ tsp. stevia
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- The night before make, your over night oatmeal. To make, in a small bowl add oats, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon and chia seeds, stir well, cover and refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours.
- In the morning, add apple, ¼ tsp. stevia and ground cinnamon in a bowl, mix until the apple is coated; set a side.
- In a mason jar or bowl start to layer by adding ¼ cup of yogurt, then half the apples, all of the oatmeal, remaining yogurt then remaining apples and top with maple syrup.
- Optional topping: Sprinkle with granola!
I hope you like a little taste of fall on this summer morning. You have to forgive the pictures, I had three issues. One I got yogurt on the lens of the camera and didn’t know it, so I had to cut some of the pictures. Darn yogurt, it sticks to everything. Second, the sun is changing positions and it messed up my normal picture-taking time and three I have no clue what my setting was on, but it made my pictures really bold looking. Sigh… Oh well, either way, it doesn’t take away the awesome taste of this healthy breakfast!
Have a great day and make some overnight oats so you can make your own breakfast jar to take with you tomorrow on your way to work, the gym or chasing kids! 🙂