Today is a fun day at #SundaySupper! Our mission this week was to make something movie related. Hmmm, I had a hard time with this one because there are some great movies that is related to food! After asking around, my Husbands friend said how about the Godfather. The Godfather! A classic movie! I love mafia type movies and I haven’t seen the Godfather in so long and I own the box set. I remember years ago my Husband and I watched almost all of them on a Saturday! Yes, I spent a Saturday snuggled on my couch watching the Godfather! Crazy, but true!
So what does one make from the Godfather? First thing that comes to mine is Italian food, you know things like pasta and pizza. But nah, that is to traditional and with a classic movie like the Godfather, I needed something special, but what? Remember the famous scene Leave the gun Take the cannoli? Such a great and ever so popular scene! Did you know that scene was a mistake it, was supposed to be take the gun and leave the Cannoli, but the blunder made it famous! lol So with that the Pistachio and Cherry Cannoli was made!
My cannoli’s are a little different from the standard cannoli’s for many reasons. The main reason was I wanted a lower calorie cannoli so I can enjoy it without guilt, second was I didn’t have cannoli tube to wrap around the pastry and three I wanted something easy, so you can make these too!! So I decided instead of a pastry shell, I would use Phyllo Dough for the cups, which would make the cannoli’s light and flaky, plus phyllo dough is pretty forgiving if you use it. I had some tears in the dough, but that is ok, once you push them into a muffin cup, they will bake up nicely. You don’t even need to make them perfect, once you fill them with the delicious filling, you don’t even notice any mistakes in the dough.
For the filling, I thought about going traditional and having plain with chocolate chips, but I have been craving pistachios and cherries for some odd reason? Plus the Godfather is kind of a dark movie and I needed to lighten it up, so I make a pretty pink cannoli because you know you think of pink, when you think of the Godfather! lol The filling is so easy to make! All it is fat-free Ricotta Cheese, Mascarpone Cheese, maraschino cherry juice and sugar. I topped these little guys with some finely chopped pistachios and a maraschino cherry! I couldn’t keep these on the plate! I was getting ready to photograph them and my Husband took one that I plated, sure enough I plated a few more and he ate them too! He was sitting on the couch saying these are so good!! I must admit they turned out way better than I ever could have dreamed off! Flaky dough, rich, creamy, sweet filling with the taste of cherries and almonds. Oh man, it is good!!!!!!!!!!!
The filling is just amazing! I thought it would be gritty but it wasn’t! I decided to go with fat free Ricotta cheese because I was using full fat Mascarpone Cheese. Do you want to know a secret? This is the first time I ever had Mascarpone Cheese! OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!! It was like pure creamy deliciousness!! I can’t believe I have never had it! It’s amazing cheese! I thought it would be like cream cheese, but it’s not! It’s so good and so much better! But due to the fat and calories I only went with 8 tablespoons of it! If you feel like splurging use 16 tablespoons. It’s so good!! Oh and if your feeling a little lazy and don’t want to make the Phyllo Dough Cups, just make the filling!!! You can dip cinnamon pita chips in it, apples or fill little glasses with it and serve it as dessert, maybe tuck a cookie in it make it look pretty. I had fun making, testing and tasting the filling, I kept eating it! he he
I wanted to tell you that the calorie count for the Pistachio and Cherry Cannoli Cups are less than I posted. I had left over phyllo dough, left over nuts and leftover filling, but I would rather be higher on calories then less. Oh and the cannoli cup including everything only comes in at 130 calories! Loves it!! A traditional cannoli has almost 400 calories and is fried!! To much for me!! So I am happy to bring this recipe to you! I guarantee know on will know it’s low-calorie. My Husband had no clue and he is a picky dessert person and he couldn’t keep his hands off of them.
If you do decide to make them, don’t fill your cannoli cups until your ready to serve. Other wise the cups will get soggy. You can also make this ahead of time. Make the filling and store in the refrigerator and the cups, can be stored in a sealed tight container at room temperature, but in my opinion the cups are best the first day you make them.
- To make Cups:
- 6 sheets phyllo dough
- cooking spray
- To make Cannoli filling:
- 1¾ cup fat free ricotta cheese
- 8 tbsp. Mascarpone Cheese
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp. almond extract or vanilla
- 1 tbsp. maraschino cherry juice (from the jar of cherries)
- 2 tsp. pistachios, finely chopped
- 12 maraschino cherries
- To make phyllo dough cups
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a standard muffin pan with cooking spray; set a side.
- Layer 3 fillo sheets, lightly spraying each sheet with cooking spray. Cut into 8 equal squares to form Phyllo stack (8 squares with 3 sheets of Phyllo Dough). Place cut squares in the standard muffin pan. Carefully push fillo into pan, pressing firmly against bottom and sides.
- Repeat process 1 more time with remaining 3 sheets to make 12 tarts (you'll have some dough leftover).
- Bake empty fillo tarts in the oven for 8 – 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes. Remove fillo tarts from pans.
- To make Cannoli filling:
- In a stand mixer add the paddle attachment, add ricotta cheese, mascarpone cheese and blend until light and fluffy, about 2 - 3 minutes. Add sugar, almond extract and maraschino cherry juice. Mix until incorporated and filling is light and fluffy, about 7 minutes total time.
- Add cannoli filling to phyllo cups and sprinkle with pistachios and top with a cherry.
- Note: Fill the cups with cannoli mix when ready to use, otherwise the cups will get soggy. Store cups in a sealed container at room temperature.
Please note calories are less than given do to the fact I had leftover ingredients:
This was such a fun #SundaySupper! I can’t wait to see what others made that are movie related goodies! So be sure to check them all out.
Have a wonderful Sunday!
Toast (bready things)
- Scones (inspired by Tea with Mussolini) – Country Girl in the Village
- Croque Monsieur (inspired by It’s Complicated) – That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- “Eat Me” Strawberry Orange Scones (inspired by Alice in Wonderland) – The Messy Baker
- Dog Bone Breadsticks (inspired by Frankenweenie) – The Urban Mrs.
- Individual Deep Dish Pizzas (inspired by Mystic Pizza) – Momma’s Meals
- Basic Bread Recipe (inspired by Agora) – Masala Herb
- Mystical Double Cheese Pizza (inspired by Mystic Pizza) – Webicurean
- Vanilla Cinnamon Pancakes (inspired by No Reservations) – Pies and Plots
No Reservations (soups and salads)
- 10-Minute Potato Ham Soup with Pesto Swirl (inspired by Julie & Julia) – Shockingly Delicious
- Alaska Smoked Salmon, Celery, and Apple Salad (inspired by Salmon Fishing in the Yemen) – Pescetarian Journal
Today’s Special (fish, chicken, beef, and pork)
- الدار البيضاء Fish Tajine (inspired by Casablanca) – Maroc Mama
- Beef and Onions Braised in Beer (inspired by Julie & Julia) – Magnolia Days
- Spicy Seared Tuna with Balsamic Reduction (inspired by Big Fish) – I Run For Wine
- Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs (inspired by Brave) – Big Bear’s Wife
- Puerco Pibil (inspired by Once Upon a Time in Mexico) – From the Bookshelf
Forks Over Knives (veggie-heavy dishes and sides)
- Eggplant in Garlic Sauce (inspired by The Joy Luck Club) – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Beet Chips (inspired by Food Matters) – girlichef
- Ratatouille (inspired by Ratatouille) – Noshing With The Nolands
- Mushroom and Asparagus Mini Quiches (inspired by Sixteen Candles) – Home Cooking Memories
- Veg Samosas (inspired by Monsoon Wedding) – My Cute Bride
- Not So Fried Green Tomatoes (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) – Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Roasted Taters with Bacon (inspired by Lord of the Rings) – Curious Cuisinere
- Goat Cheese Basil Grits (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) – Diabetic Foodie
Udon (pasta and noodles)
- Big Night Timpano (inspired by Big Night) – Kimchi Mom
- Better Baked Mac & Cheese (inspired by Soul Food) – What Smells So Good?
- Spaghetti with Meatballs and Gravy (inspired by Lady and the Tramp) – Juanita’s Cocina
- Spicy Sichuan Noodles (inspired by Eat Drink Man Woman) – Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Tchoupitoulas Pasta (inspired by Last Holiday) – Gourmet Drizzles
Just Desserts (sweet treats)
- The Best Chocolate Cake (inspired by Chocolat) – The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate Almond Torte with Raspberries (inspired by Chocolat) – Vintage Kitchen
- Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size (BOUS’) (inspired by The Princess Bride) – The Cooking Actress
- Minny’s Chocolate Pie (inspired by The Help) – Daily Dish Recipes
- Pao de Lo | Portuguese Bundt Sponge Cake (inspired by My Big Fat Greek Wedding) – Family Foodie
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (inspired by Life of Pi) – No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Fantasia Cakes (inspired by Disney’s Fantasia) – NinjaBaking. com
- Chocolate Dipped Almond Coconut Bars (inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) – Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- (Gluten Free) Orange Soda Pound Cake (inspired by Joe Vs The Volcano) – Blueberries and Blessings
- Peach Cobbler (inspired by Soul Food) – The Lovely Pantry
- Golden Ticket Peanut Butter-Pretzel Truffles (inspired by Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory)– Weekend Gourmet
- French Macarons (inspired by Marie Antoinette) – Happy Baking Days
- Pistachio and Cherry Cannolis Cups(inspired by The Godfather) – Peanut Butter and Peppers
Bottle Shock (beverages)
- Raspberry Cordial (inspired by Anne of Green Gables) – NeighborFood
- Grapefruit Flirtini (inspired by Sex and the City) – Ruffles & Truffles
- Wines To Pair With #SundaySupper Movie-Inspired Recipes (inspired by Sideways) – ENOFYLZ Wine Blog