I have to tell you, I am mad at Starbucks! Yes, me, mad at one of my favorite coffee shops! Why you wonder? Because every time I walk in there I see that glass case full of delectable treats that I want, but never order. For the past month or so, I kept seeing their Cinnamon Chip Bread taunting me. It’s all thick and chocolatly looking and I want it! Have I ever had it? The answer is no! Why? Because I am afraid I would like it and the calories are way to high and I can only imagine how much sugar is in one piece of the bread. So what do I do to conquer my craving for this bread that I have never had, but want so bad? Try making it myself but with lower calories, less fat and way healthier then my favorite coffee shop!
So how do I duplicate a recipe for a bread I have never tasted? Well Google it! I Googled Starbucks Cinnamon Chip Bread and low and behold it was on Starbucks website! So I changed out a lot of the ingredients and made my own version of their bread! It was a success!! My bread turned out rich, sweet and oh so good! And I mean good!!
The bread is a combination of a chocolate bread, cake and brownie in one! I have to admit it’s pretty rich and a little heavy on the chocolate. You really need to have a big glass of milk or a cup of coffee with it!! If you crave chocolate, then this is the perfect bread for you!!
The original recipe contained 1 1/2 sticks of butter, 2 1/2 eggs, 1/2 cup butter milk and 1 1/2 cups of sugar. No thank you, that is WAY too much!! I guess that’s why it’s 370 calorie a slice. My bread is made with yogurt, coconut oil, egg substitute and 1 cup of sugar and is only 92 calories a slice! I can eat almost 4 slices compared to Starbucks 1 slice!! Yah! That makes me very happy and the best part is my bread tastes so darn good!!
- Chocolate Batter:
- ¾ cup greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1cup NuNaturals Presweet Tagatose or 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup egg substitute
- 1 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup dutch processed cocoa
- ½ tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup non-fat milk, with 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Cocoa Spice Topping:
- 1 packet stevia or 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp dutch processed cocoa
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp Turbinado sugar or sugar in the raw
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray 1 large bread pan or 3 mini bread pans with cooking spray; set a side.
- In a pyrex measuring cup or glass, add milk and lemon juice, set a side for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl add yogurt, coconut oil and sugar; mix until combined. Stir in egg substitute and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl; sift together flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In the glass with the milk, add water and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- In the bowl with the yogurt; mix in flour mixture and milk mixture, alternating between the two until your mixture is fully blended.
- Place batter in prepared loaf pans.
- To make topping: Combine the stevia or sugar, cinnamon, cocoa, ginger and cloves and sprinkle over batter (I found sifting it over the top worked best). Top with Turbinado Sugar
- Bake in oven for 45 - 50 minutes for large loaf or 25 - 30 minutes for mini loafs. Insert a toothpick in the middle, if it comes out clean the bread is done.
Calories per slice using Granulated Sugar: 124.4, Fat: 2.7, Cholesterol: .02, Sodium: 61, Potassium: 105.9, Crabs: 23.8, Fiber: 2.6, Sugar: 14.9, Protein: 4.5
Hmmm, after looking back, I guess you can say I have had a cinnamon craving this week, between the Cinnamon Chip Bread and Sunday’s Cinnamon Dolce Frappe, I can’t get enough of this little spice! But really, I do love my cinnamon and it’s a good spice too! From what I have read, cinnamon helps with migraines, lowers the bad cholesterol, it stabilizer the blood sugar level which is great for weight loss, boosts the memory and it’s even a natural food preservative! I think I should be eating cinnamon by the bottle!! 🙂
Do you like cinnamon?
Well, that’s it for me! Now I think I’m going to make more bread!! We ate it up pretty quickly in my house!
Have a great day!