Today is another edition of #SundaySupper. Since today is not only Easter it’s also Lemons and Oranges Day! So to celebrate Mother’s Nature beautiful citrus fruit, we had to make a dish with what else lemons or oranges. Today’s dish is a fabulous snack cake made with Meyer Lemons that my friend Marty gave me. I couldn’t believe how wonderful a Meyer Lemon tasted! It is so sweet!! Yes a sweet lemon! Crazy!! But it’s so good and because it’s so sweet I cut back on the sugar in my recipe! Yah!! Oh and today’s recipe is a Meyer Lemon Snack Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting.
This cake is so light and fluffy and has the most wonderful lemon taste and then topping it with a cream cheese frosting that has fresh Meyer lemon juice in it, oh man! I was totally licking the bowl on this one. I was pretty impressed on how light the cake was considering I didn’t use any oil in it, but I did use vanilla yogurt which adds a nice moisture to it!
This recipe makes 12 nice slices of cake and to top it, it’s guilt-free! A slice of cake with frosting is only 137 calories! Which is so perfect!! I brought this dish to work and I was surprised on how much of a hit it was. I wasn’t sure how it would go over considering I made it on a Saturday night and took it to work on Monday. I did ask my pals on Facebook on how to store the cake. I didn’t know if I could keep it out or put it in the refrigerator. They said to put it in the refrigerator, but it will affect the texture of the cake, but your safe to know the frosting, being dairy, wouldn’t make anyone sick. I’d rather be safe then sorry! After taking it out of the refrigerator, about an hour on the counter the cake turned out perfect. It wasn’t quite as light as the day I made it, but it was still very good and was eaten up pretty quick!! So if you do make it or make anything with a cream cheese frosting, be sure to refrigerate it! Or leave the cake out and put the frosting in the refrigerator and frost your cake when your ready to serve it!!
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp freshly grated meyer lemon zest
- ¼ cup margarine, melted (I used Brumble and Brown)
- ¼ cup vanilla yogurt
- ½ cup non-fat milk
- 4 oz Cream Cheese, ⅓ less fat
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tbsp meyer lemon juice (juice of half a lemon)
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spray an 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray; set a side.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine egg and lemon zest. Add melted margarine, yogurt and milk; mix well.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl add cream cheese, 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, vanilla extract, 1½ tablespoons lemon juice and lemon zest and beat until light and creamed; about 3 minutes. Spread frosting over cooled cake. Top each serving with lemon zest, if desired.
This cake not only makes a wonderful Snack Cake it would be perfect to whip together for your Easter brunch or breakfast! I think any lemon fan will love this cake! Oh and one last thing, if you can get your hands on some Meyer Lemons, you must get them. They are so much better than a traditional lemons, however I am a huge lemon fan! I use a lemon everyday for the past year! I use it in my water, which is great to detox for the kidneys and it helps the metabolize the fat. Yes, please! I love anything that helps get rid of fat! lol This is just another reason why I love lemons. As a kid I used to eat them raw! I’d peel them like an orange and eat away! I know I was a weird kid! 🙂
I hope you have a wonderful Easter or a great Lemons and Oranges Day! Be sure to check out what other citrus dishes that the #SundaySupper has made!
Better with Citrus Breakfasts:
- Orange Ricotta Pancakes from Gotta Get Baked
Big On Citrus Breads & Condiments:
- Honey Lime Dressing from Ruffles & Truffles
- Meyer Lemon Pistachio Loaf from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Moroccan Preserved Lemons from MarocMama
Make You Pucker Salads, Sides, & Main Dishes:
- Ceviche from Cookistry
- Cilantro Lime Rice from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Citrus Ginger Chicken from Kudos Kitchen
- Easy Indian Lemon Chicken from Soni’s Food
- Fish Tacos with Lime Salsa from Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Orange & Lime Chicken Thighs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Meyer Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Asparagus with Brown Rice from Daily Dish Recipes
- Orange Chicken from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Raw Beet Salad with Citrus Dressing from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Red Cabbage and Red Pepper Salad with Citrus Dressing from Family Foodie
- Seared Cod with Grapefruit Fennel Slaw from Magnolia Days
- Tangy Lemon Rice with Grated Mango & Roasted Cashew from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sour Citrusy Sweets & Desserts:
- Blood Orange Sorbet from My Cute Bride
- Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut from Neighborfood
- Clementine Curd from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Creamsicle Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Dairyfree Key Lime Meringue Bliss from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fresh Lemon Mousse from Comfy Cuisine
- Frozen Lemon Dessert from Gourmet Drizzles
- Gluten Free Orange Pound Cake from Simply Gourmet
- Honey and Lemon Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Key Lime Biscotti from Juanita’s Cocina
- Key Lime Cheesecake from Flour on My Face
- Key Lime Cookie Bars from Supper for a Steal
- Key Lime Truffles from What Smells So Good?
- Lemon Blueberry Polenta Cake from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lemon Coconut Cinnamon Rolls from Chocolate Moosey
- Lemon Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Lemon Cream Pie Push Pops from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Layer Cake from Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Poppyseed Sweet Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Lemon Ricotta Cake from The Urban Mrs.
- Meyer Lemon Snack Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mini Meyer Lemon Pies from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mini Orange Cream & Lemon Cream Scones from The Foodie Army Wife
- No-Bake Lemon Cheese Cakes w/Blueberry-Lemon Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Olive Oil Cake with Orange Marmalade from Hip Foodie Mom
- Omiyage California Citrus Cake from Ninja Baking
- Orange Cake with Orange Syrup from The Lovely Pantry
- Orange Crinkle Cookies from Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Pink Grapefruit Pie from In the Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Pink Lemonade Pound Cake from In the Kitchen with KP
- Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie from Webicurean
- Tarte au Citron from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Sour Sips & Drinks:
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, March 31st to talk all about citrus recipes! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.