This Saturday I made the most delicious muffins. My home smelled of cinnamon and chocolate. Oh my heavens did it smell good! Nothing beats the smell of muffins or bread baking in the oven. What a wonderful way to start a weekend.
I bring you my Chocolate Mocha Muffins. They are healthy, low calorie and so moist and delicious. They are made with apple sauce, yogurt, a pinch of oil for extra moisture and little drops of dark chocolate. I couldn’t ask for a better muffin, especially during my chocolate cravings.
These muffins are also very easy to make. They take about 10 minutes to make and 15 minutes to bake. The only thing that took the longest was waiting for them to cool, so I can take a big bite of this a these little gems. If your at all inclined, these would be wonderful smeared with a little cinnamon butter or cream cheese with cinnamon and a pinch of espresso. I debated about topping my muffins with a cream cheese frosting, but I thought I would keep it simple.
I don’t know why, but I don’t make muffins nearly enough. They should be something I make every Saturday. They sure put a smile on my face and my families. I got the idea for these muffins from my fun coffee drinks. One of my favorite combinations is chocolate and coffee together and I thought why not include that in a muffin? That way I can have a double dose of coffee in the morning. After all I could always use a healthy pick me up.
- ½ cup greek yogurt, plain or vanilla flavor
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 tbsp. coconut or canola oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar or ¾ cup NuNaturals Stevia
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp espresso powder
- 3 tbsp milk, non-fat or any kind
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 21/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon, ground
- 3 squares Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Add paper muffin cups to a muffin pan or spray a muffin pan with cooking spray; set a side. I sprayed the muffin cups too.
- In a medium bowl add flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and cinnamon; Whisk together.
- In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, applesauce, oil and sugar; until combined. Add eggs, vanilla extract, espresso powder and milk; whisk until blended.
- Add flour mixture to yogurt whisk until combined.
- Fold in chocolate
- Scoop batter into prepared baking cups.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Insert a toothpick, if it comes out clean muffins are done.
Calories per Muffin with Sugar: 129, Fat: 4.3, Cholesterol: .01, Sodium: 163, Potassium: 31.5, Carbs: 21, Fiber: 3.3, Sugar: 10.3, Protein: 4.1
Since I made 12 muffins and there are only the three of use here, I like to freeze my leftovers. They are prefect for taking to work and sharing with co-workers or simply saving for yourself. All I do is take them out in the morning and by mid morning they are defrosted, soft and simply perfect. Makes for a nice snack!
Well my Friends, I have more baking to do today! Trying to prep for next week. One thing I really enjoy about the weekends is making fun goodies and having them through-out the week.
Have a wonderful week!