What a mess I had to clean today! Since we are still working on the kitchen, I have all my baked good ingredients like flour in a box on the floor of my kitchen. To my surprise someone got into my bread flour. My boy Sampson did! He had bread flour all over his mouth and flour all over the floor! I swear that dog eats everything! Sigh… Well at least with today’s recipe I didn’t need bread flour, I used whole wheat pastry flour which I keep on my counter!
Today I made for you with my untouched flour Apple and Cinnamon Walnut Bread! This bread turned out amazing! It’s moist, chock full of apples and just the right amount of walnuts. I was a little scared there wouldn’t be enough walnuts, since when I went to my hidden stash of nuts, I only had a quarter cup of chopped walnuts left! This bread is also very healthy for you! Instead of adding extra flour I added ground flax seed and wheat germ. For added moistness I added 1 cup of greek yogurt and some coconut oil!
I have been wanting to make this kind of bread for a while now, yet I didn’t! When I opened my fridge and was debating what to make, I saw my apple drawer growing I swear everyone gives me there apples. Between the CSA box, Panera Breads apples and my friends, I have more apples than one knows what to do with. This recipe is perfect for using them! Though, I only used one apple, but it was a nice sweet one!! The recipe makes one big loaf or three mini loaves and you know me, I went with the mini so I can share with friends and loved ones! I think this bread will be a hit and I feel good giving healthy treats to my family!!
- 1 Cup Greek Non Fat Plain Yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil or Canola Oil
- ¾ cup NuNaturals Presweet Tagatose or ½ cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- ¼ cup flax seed, ground
- 2 tbsp wheat germ
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 apple (1/2 cup) peeled diced small or shredded (if shredded don't squeeze out the juice)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts (you can add up to ½ cup)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease 1 large loaf pan or 3 mini loaf pans with cooking spray; set a side.
- In a medium bowl, mix yogurt, coconut oil, sugar, egg whites and vanilla extract; mix until until blended.
- In a separate bowl add flour, flax seed, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix together.
- Slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the yogurt mixture, be careful not to over mix.
- Fold in apples and walnuts.
- Spoon batter into a greased 9- x 5-inch loaf pan or 3 mini loafs. Use the back of the spoon to smooth batter out.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour for 1 large loaf or 30 – 35 minutes for 3 mini loafs, or until a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack.
Calories per slice with Sugar: 1112, Fat: 4, Cholesterol: 0, Sodium: 209, Potassium: 50, Carbs: 15.5, Fiber: 2, Sugar: 7.3, Protein: 4.2
I had fun making my bread! It’s been a long time since I have made a nice quick bread!! I have to tell you this bread is perfect, slightly warmed in the microwave and drizzled with honey or smeared with butter! Yummy!!
I’m off to make dinner!! I’m debating on left overs, making a new dish or making a super quick meal, which wouldn’t be blog worthy! 🙂
Have a great day!