Do you ever have kitchen mishaps? Today, while I was making this wonderful dinner, I was cutting the onions and happen to cut right through the onion and into my thumb! Ugh! It was like slow motion! I hate when that happens. I have been pretty good lately on not burning or cutting myself. I guess my lucky streak is over! Well one thing is lucky for me, I was cutting slow and didn’t cut my thumb off. Now I am sitting here with a band-aid on my thumb and boy is it hard to type! But a cut on the thumb didn’t stop me from finishing my yummy dinner! Today I have for you a healthy and pretty quick dinner, loaded with lots of flavor!
This is my pork medallion with caramelized onions and fennel! Man oh man does this pork have some good flavor! I swear I could eat a big bowl of caramelized onions and the fennel ohhh, the fennel is so good! Instead of sauteing the veggies in oil or butter I used apple juice! So perfect! The onions and fennel were so soft and tender. I couldn’t be more happier with how the vegetables turned out.
I seared the pork on all sides than placed it on a plate, covered it with foil, while I sauteed the vegetables. I added the pork back to the skillet with the vegetables and covered it and steamed/cooked it for 7 minutes. The pork was so tender, you almost didn’t need a knife to cut it. The apple juice added so much more flavor and for an added touch, I threw in some rosemary. My Husband doesn’t like rosemary, he always asks what are these needles in my dinner? Every time I tell him rosemary, then he says to stop cooking with it. Ummm, that’s not going to happen! Sorry dear! He actually picked it out!
I had some fresh fennel leaves, but I kept them to the side and added them to my own plate. I knew after the whole rosemary thing, my Husband wouldn’t like the fennel leaves. The whole dish took maybe 25 minutes to make, which is nice for a week night meal and I have to tell you the smell, ohhh, the smell was amazing! Reminded of when I was a kid and Mom was cooking dinner as we waited in anticipation to eat!!
- 1 lbs pork tenderloin, cut into medallions
- 1 cup onion, sliced thin
- 1 whole fennel bulb, sliced thin or diced
- ¼ cup apple juice
- 1 pinch rosemary
- salt & pepper to taste
- Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet add pork. Sear each side of the pork for about 4 minutes, until all sides are no longer pink.
- Take the pork out, and place on a plate and cover with aluminium foil.
- Meanwhile in the same pan you seared the pork in, add onions, fennel, apple juice and rosemary; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add pork back to the skillet and cover. Cook for about 7 minutes, until pork is cooked through.
- Place pork on a plate and top with onion and fennel mixture.
Well I am off, I promised my Husband a treat for him to take for lunches this week that wasn’t healthy. I am thinking a pound cake. I have always wanted to make one!
Have a fabulous day!