I have to tell you something I find so funny. My dog Sampson follows me everywhere! You always know he’s following you because he doesn’t lift his feet when he walks, it’s kind like the sound of corduroy pants rubbing together. I walk slow and I hear a slow swish, swish, swish sound, then I walk faster and the swishing gets faster and louder. It’s kind of comical, and kind of scary, kind of like being chased by someone, the faster you go, the faster he goes. Oh my little boy!! I really need to snap some current picture of my dogs. My photos are so old, but they are not photogenic! They never stay still for a picture! My last dog Doodles, loved having her photo taken, but not these dogs! They tell me the camera is for taking pictures of food Mom, not of us!!
Today I have for you a boozy Eggnog Banana Bread made with Bacardi Gold Rum! Yum! I made this bread especially for my Husband since you know me and eggnog, blah! Since my Husband bought eggnog for me to use for my holiday recipes, I figured I better use it up soon before it goes bad. While I was rummaging through my cupboards I saw some banana’s that needed to be used soon and I normally make a simple fruity banana bread, but then I thought, huh, why not eggnog banana bread? So I whipped it all together and presto, Eggnog Bread!
I decided when I made the bread that it should have a sweet, sweet glaze dripping over it. I made the glaze with rum, eggnog, nutmeg and powdered sugar. I did do a sampling of the glaze and I can tell you that it is so goooooood, I could just eat it right up, all of it!! Maybe I do like eggnog? It just has to have rum in it? he he
This is the second time I made the recipe, the first time I omitted the greek yogurt and apple sauce that I normally use because the batter seemed awfully liquidy. After making it, my Husband said the flavor was perfect but the bread was rubbery. He said he would still eat it, but he didn’t like the texture and he felt it wasn’t blog worthy. That is what happens when you try to cut to many calories and not add yogurt or fat to the recipe. I’d rather up my calories a little on a recipe then have it taste bland or rubbery, so in went the canola oil and yogurt and a pinch more flour. Way better!!! The bread is moist, full of flavor and simply perfect!!! I am so glad I decided to remake it.
I have to admit even though I don’t like eggnog, I really enjoyed the bread. I had to sample it for texture and taste and I was pleasantly surprised how good it is. So good that I ate a quarter of a loaf. I was pretty proud and pretty stoked to come up with this recipe. I also think the bread turned out so pretty and best of all my Husband loved it! I couldn’t be happier! This would be a wonderful bread to serve at Christmas time! I can see it on a table at brunch or giving it away as a hostess gift.
- 1 Cup All Purpose flour
- ¾ whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Cup banana,mashed
- 3 egg whites
- ½ Cup sugar
- ½ Cup eggnog, light
- ¼ cup greek yogurt, plain
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tbsp. rum or ¼ tsp. rum extract
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp. egg nog
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. rum
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Spray 1 loaf pan or three mini loaf pans with cooking spray; set aside
- In a large bowl add flours, baking soda, and salt; mix and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add banana, egg whites and sugar, mix together until incorporated. Add eggnog, greek yogurt and canola oil; mix until combined. Stir in rum and nutmeg; mix until combined.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and slowly add the banana mixture and fold together until combined. Do not over mix.
- Evenly divide batter into prepared mini loaf pans or pour into one large loaf pan.
- Bake mini loafs for 30 - 35 minutes, bake large loaf for 50 - 60 minutes. Insert a toothpick into center of bread, comes out clean, bread is done.
- Let the bread cool for 5 minutes, then take loaves out of pan and let them cool on a cooling rack.
- For the Glaze: In a small bowl add powdered sugar, eggnog, nutmeg and rum. Mix until combined and evenly pour over cooled bread.
Huh, I’m really wondering if I’m starting to like Eggnog? Nah, I can’t be? It’s got to be the rum talking!
Have a great day!!
P.S. Don’t forget to enter my giveaway for the Stonewall Kitchen Holiday Gift Set.