Guess what today is? The man is supposed to make dinner day! So ladies, get your husbands boyfriends, sons, friends whomever you know that is a male and tell him to make you dinner. I told my Husband it’s his turn to make dinner. He told me fried bologna and onions. Ewww!! Ok, if they are bad cooks, have them take you to dinner. McDonald’s is better than fried bologna!!
This week I have been trying really hard to eat better and less snacking, I’m doing ok, but can also do much better, with that said I decided that if I have to munch on something why not let it be roasted vegetables? I know it sounds weird, but I like to eat cold vegetables, plus it makes a great side dish and is nice to make in batches to take to lunch. I had a major refrigerator clean-up, you know the vegetables that are going to go bad if you don’t use them now? Well I used them all to created my roasted vegetables!
This vegetable medley is filled with sweet potatoes carrots, rustic potatoes, celery, onions, bell pepper and zucchini. I have a lot of veggies in their and they all go so well together!! For my seasoning I used Herbs de Provence that I actually picked up when I was in Paris this summer. You can purchase it from your local grocery store or Cost Plus World Market. I love the herbs, they smell heavenly when baked.
This medley of vegetables tastes like stuffing without the bread! I love it! What I think is pretty funny, is my Husband ate it, though he didn’t care for it and you know what he ate? Sweet potatoes! ha ha He though they were carrots. Didn’t even notice the difference!! I have to laugh because he HATES sweet potatoes!!! Hates them with a passion!! Poor Guy, he doesn’t know what he is missing!! I decided to photograph the roasting chart I used that I picked up from my Eating Light Magazine. It’s a great guide on roasting vegetables Not all of the vegetables are listed, but most of them are. I found adding the carrots and celery in at the 30 minute mark worked perfect!!!
I found the key was baking in batches! I set the oven to 400 degrees, and cooked my rustic potato for 15 minutes, then added the rest of the veggies except the zucchini and baked for 15 minutes. Added the zucchini to the roasting vegetables and cooked that for 15 minutes. So the potatoes cooked for 45 minutes, other vegetables for 30 minutes and zucchini for 15 minutes. It worked out perfect! By the time I was done cutting each batch, the other batch was done!! Easy!!
- 1 large rustic potato, peeled, cut into ¼" pieces
- 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled, diced
- ½ large onion, cut into quarters
- 3 radishes, sliced in half
- 3 medium carrots, peeled, sliced into ½" pieces
- 3 stalks celery, sliced into ½" sliced
- 1 large sweet bell pepper, cut into ¼" chunks
- 1 large zucchini, sliced into ½ moon shapes
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- ½ tbsp. Herbs de Provence
- ¾ tbsp. + 2 tsp. olive oil (divided)
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil; set a side.
- In a medium bowl add rustic potato and 1 tsp oil oil, dash salt, dash of pepper and a pinch of herbs de provence. Mix together and place on baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes. Flipping every 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile; in the same bowl you used for the potatoes, add remaining vegetables except for the zucchini. Add a dash of salt, dash of pepper and ¾ tbsp. olive oil; mix until incorporated. Place vegetables on 2nd baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes. Flipping half way through.
- In the same bowl, add zucchini, remaining olive oil, dash salt, ash of pepper and herbs de provence. Mix until combined. During the last 15 minutes of vegetables roasting; add the zucchini. Bake for 15 minutes.
- All of the vegetables will be done at the same time. Add potatoes to the vegetable mixture. Serve and enjoy!
I’ll be honest with you, I didn’t measure my food out! So the calories are approximately. In my opinion this is a healthy dish and I don’t think the calories should really matter when it comes to vegetables!!!
Well my friends, time for me to make tonight’s dinner! What to make, what to make?
Have a great day!
P.S. Don’t forget to enter my giveaway.for the coffee maker!
little kitchie says
those veggies look beautiful! had no idea about the day – GOOD to know! 🙂
Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic says
I love the idea of having a big batch of roasted veggies to munch on for snacks! I have some herbs de Provence at home, good idea to use it with veggies!
Lose Your Belly.com says
Great looking roasted vegetables!!!
I don’t think it is weird you like cold vegetables! I like them too. I eat a bell pepper like it is an apple. Your roasted veggies look good too though!
I always love adding Herbs de Provence and am happy to see them here =) Your dish is both colorful and delicious!
[email protected] San Francisco Kitchen says
Haha, my husband would NEVER cook dinner :/ I WISH!!! These veggies look so fresh, delicious, and healthy! Great job 🙂
Baker Street (@bakerstreet29) says
You did an incredible job here! These look so delicious and healthy!