Happy Thursday! Almost to a holiday weekend! Woohoo!!! Since it’s the last big Summer BBQ, I thought I would share with you a spin on traditional burgers.
This is my pizza burger! It’s made with pizza sauce, some spices and love. Ahhhh, aren’t I sweet? I wasn’t sure how this burger was going to turn out, but when I took my first bite, I knew this was a good one!!! It’s cheesy, moist, thick and super duper delicious. It does have a pizza taste to it!!! Mmmm, mmmm beefy pizza burgers!! If you only heard the voice I just made as I was typing this you would really think I was strange. My dogs just gave me a strange look. he he
What really makes this burger good is the mozzarella cheese and the fresh basil that I used in place of the lettuce. My Husband wasn’t sure about this burger, but he must have liked it, he ate two of them!!! For an added extra pizza taste I also topped it with some more pizza sauce and a tomato. That made it perfect!!!
To keep the calories low on the burger I decided to use an English Muffin for my bun. It is only 100 calories and full of fiber and protein. I really like subbing the basic roll for an English Muffin. I get more of the burger taste then all of the bread. Plus its sturdy enough and the right size to hold my burger. I can never make a flat burger they always come out fat and juicy! Just the way I like it!!
Do you like to make burgers for your barbecue parties or just for your self and family? Do you change it up and make different kinds? I personally love changing up the basics, I think it’s a fun twist and always a surprise to the person who is going to eat it. I know my Husband was surprised. Hmmm, I wonder what crazy kind of burger I can make next?
- 1 lbs lean ground beef (96/4)
- ¼ cup egg substitute or 1 egg
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2 Tbsp. pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced thin
- 4 whole wheat English muffins or hamburger buns
- Optional Toppings:
- 5 basil leaves
- 1 tsp. pizza sauce
- 1 slice tomato
- Preheat grill on medium heat
- In a bowl, add ground beef, egg, oregano and pizza sauce. Mix together until combined.
- Divide the ground beef mixture into 4 equal pieces and form into a patty. Place on grill and cook until done. About 5 minutes per side.
- Add mozzarella cheese to burgers about 1 minute before burgers are done. Cook until the cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile; split your English Muffins and place on the top part of the grill and cook until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
- Place Pizza Burger onto English Muffin
- Serve immediately
- Optional Toppings: Fresh basil leaves, topped with pizza sauce and a tomato
I used a Thomas English Muffin Light version for the bread.
Well I had fun with this one today! I just love changing it up and making it fun!
If your interested in my other crazy burgers, here are a few of my past recipe:
That’s it for today’s edition. Time for me to whip up a little dessert!
Have a great day!!! Now get out that and grill those burgers!!
Baker Street (@bakerstreet29) says
you just combined two of my favorite things! and you’re absolutely right. this would be the ultimate treat for the weekend!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers says
Thanks! These days I am just loving my burgers!
lindsay @ live. love. nutrition. says
This burger sounds amazing! Actually all your burger creations do! I will definitely need to make these for the holiday next week 🙂 – english muffins make the best buns!
You’ve convinced me that my major goal for this weekend is to make a veggie pizza burger! Yum!
I also love using an English Muffin when I make my burgers.
Pizza burgers are delish! This is perfect because I have some hamburger meet I need to use up, perfect timing!
Yum!! Looks very good!