Ok, now it’s finally Friday! Yah!! Big plans for the weekend? All I know is I have some cooking to do. I am going to be taking a few days off for my birthday next month, so it’s time to prep and cook so I can write my blog in advance. This week I have to tell you I’m pretty proud of myself. I exercised 3 days so far this week and I still have two more days to go. It was hard to do, but I pushed myself. I also exercised 5 days last week. I need to do this because I bought a beautiful white sequins dress in Paris. It was my only purchase there, but it was worth it. Now to tone up lose a little muffin top and be happy on my big day.
Today’s recipe is a remake recipe. I made this before during my second week of blogging. It is one of my favorite summer time recipes. It’s so light and refreshing but a little time-consuming int he prep work, but worth it. Oh my recipe used to be Grilled Corn Relish, but now its more of roasted corn salad. The recipe is pretty much the same as before but I changed it just a little. I omitted the olive oil, added chipotle seasoning and added avocado. I just love this little salad.
When I was looking back at my old recipe, I have to say I have improved a little bit on my photography. I’ve been trying and practicing. I notice I tend to make things more bold now, not sure if that’s a good thing or not? In this recipe in comparison to the old one, I think I am giving you little better directions too. I have to say I have been learning a lot from blogging. Eventually I want to re-make my last half of last years recipes so I can make sure there blog quality in photos and in taste. So stay tuned for some re-makes.
I really like the addition of avocado in this recipe, it just adds a little more umph in it. My Husband doesn’t like avocado so I omitted in his. He’s crazy, but I understand! I used to not like avocado until a few months ago. It’s an amazing fruit full of healthy fat! Here’s a picture of the salad without avocado.
I debated about adding black beans to the salad and even some feta cheese, but I decided to keep it light. I served this with a side of barbecue chicken. But after looking at my plate I realized I needed a side salad. Then I thought why not make this a salad? I decided to cut up my chicken and put it on a bed of lettuce with my corn salad, no dressing needed. Great decision! I loved it! Matter in fact I loved it so much I had it for lunch too!
- 2 large ears of corn in husk
- ¼ small onion, quartered
- 1 large sweet bell pepper, seeded and halved
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and halved
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ½ Tbsp parsley or cilantro
- ¼ tsp chipotle powder or paprika
- dash salt & pepper
- ¼ cup avocado, diced
- Soak corn in water for about 10 minutes - 30 minutes.
- Spray grill with cooking spray and preheat grill to medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Place corn, onion, jalapeno and bell pepper on grill; cook for about 10 minutes, turning every two minutes or until corn is slightly roasted, peppers are chard and onions are slightly chard.
- Place chard peppers in a brown paper lunch bag and let them steam and cool off. Once cool enough to handle, carefully peel away the skin.
- Cut corn off of the cob by placing in a bowl and carefully cutting off the kernels.
- Chop onion and peppers into bite size pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine corn, onion, pepper, tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, chipotle powder, salt, pepper and avocado.
Calories per cup: 110.9, Fat: 2.5, Cholesterol: 0, Sodium: 17.6, Potassium: 440, Carbs: 22.5, Fiber: 4.4, Sugar: 3, Protein: 3.8
I am really LOVE this salad I hope you give it a try. Not to much beats the smell and taste of vegetables roasting on the grill. It is fantastic on a bed of lettuce or even topping your hot dogs. Perfect for a summer barbecue. By the way it tastes wonderful the next day too! All the flavors really come together nicely. I’m half debating about making it again for tonight’s dinner. Speaking of which, I better get going and start making something. My Husband is like Fred Flintstone, as soon as he walks in the door, is dinner ready? Normally I say it’s in the microwave dear or I wanted sweet potatoes so it’s fend for yourself night, that’s normally when he goes to Subway. Blah!
Have a wonderful Friday!!