A few weeks ago I made some random cookies and shared them at work. They were a hit! The whole batch was gone by 10am. I was asked for the recipe from some of my co-workers. Uh, I don’t remember? I tend to play around with recipes and I don’t always share them with you, but because these were so popular, I tried my best to remember the recipe. Well hold and behold I did it again. I thought since these cookies are so good, that I better write the recipe down and share them with you. Today I have for you my Chewy Caramel Cookies. Oh, and check out the Cookie Monster video at the end of the post.
These cookies are soft, chewy, sweet and the caramel bits in the cookie add such a nice chewy texture. I tried the recipe with a little bit of salt on top to make them Salted Caramel Cookies, but I didn’t care for that, so on this batch I left the salt off the top. If you like salt, add a pinch on top and see if you like it.
For the caramel in the cookies, I used Kraft Caramel Bits. So much easier to use them then un-wrapping caramel pieces and chopping them up. I found the Kraft Caramel Bits at Target. Target seems to be my one stop shop when it comes to a lot of my ingredients for recipes. I just love that store. I can spend hours in it, except when I am with my Husband. He doesn’t have the patience to walk around with me.
- Serves: 72 cookies
- Serving size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 67
- Fat: 3.2
- Carbohydrates: 9.9
- Sugar: 6.3
- Sodium: 69
- Fiber: .01
- Protein: .07
- Cholesterol: 12
- 2½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, not packed
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1¼ cups Kraft Caramel Bits
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; stir well; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, and eggs; beat until well blended.
- Gradually add in the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix. Fold in caramel bits.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of cookie dough on to prepared pans about 2 inches apart. I baked 9 cookies per sheet.
- Bake for 8 - 9 minutes or until the bottom of cookie is lightly brown. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for two minutes and place onto cooling rack.
- Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days or store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
The secret to making these cookies chewy is the brown sugar. I added more brown sugar than granulated sugar, normally it is the other way around. You can taste the brown sugar in it too, so good.
These cookies can be frozen for up to 3 months. Just leave out on the counter to defrost. However, as you may know, I love to eat frozen cookies. Yum!
Have a fabulous day!
P.S. I love this commercial for Siri. My Husband said that is me when I bake cookies. Enjoy…