Nothing says love for Valentine’s Day than chocolate and wine. Today #SundaySupper teamed up with Gallo Family Vineyards to share with you Valentine’s Day wine pairings. I just love wine and chocolate together, it’s one of my favorite indulgences and I truly think it is romantic. So today I whipped up one of my favorite chocolate candies to share with you, Chocolate Coconut Haystacks.
These little chocolates are made with two ingredients, dark chocolate melting wafers and unsweetened coconut. They are rich, sweet, delicious and would please any coconut lover. Plus not only are they delicious and simply adorable, they are a breeze to make.
I paired my delicious little chocolate gems with Gallo Family Vineyards Sweet Red Wine. Gallo Family Vineyards Sweet Red Wine is bursting with flavors of red fruit, black cherry and raspberry jam. A perfect complement to chocolate. The wine is medium body and sweet. I love sweet wine, it is my favorite.
To make the chocolates I lightly toasted my coconut in the oven and then melted my chocolate in the microwave. Just add the coconut and mix well. I used a cookie scoop to make them even in size and just slightly padded them down with my finger. They turned out fantastic and only take about 15 minutes to make including toasting the coconut.
Another wine that would pair well with my haystacks would be Gallo Family Vineyards Riesling. Gallo Family Vineyards Riesling has whispers of honeysuckle, juicy peach and ripe citrus notes. Such a nice light, sweet wine. One of my favorites.
- Serves: 30
- Serving size: 1 chocolate
- Calories: 77
- Fat: 5.8
- Carbohydrates: 6.9
- Sugar: 5.9
- Sodium: 9.1
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 1
- Cholesterol: 0
- 2 cups coconut, shredded, unsweetened
- 12 oz dark chocolate melting wafers
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Add coconut to a baking pan and bake for 5 minutes, flipping every 2 minutes until coconut is lightly toasted. Set aside.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add chocolate. Melt in microwave for 30 seconds, stir, place back in microwave and cook for 30 more seconds, stir. Cook for 15 second intervals, stirring in between each interval until chocolate is melted. Stir in coconut.
- With a cookie scoop, scoop out candy and place on prepared baking sheet. I used my fingers to shape and pat down a little. Let cool completely.
Do you have any plans for Valentine’s Day? It’s pretty nice that it is on a Saturday this year, so that means from morning to night you can have the most romantic day ever. I am unsure what our plans are, but I do know whatever we do, will be fun.
So this Valentine’s Day, why not show the one you love with homemade chocolate and a bottle of wine?
Looking for more Valentine’s Day recipe? You should check out Gallo Family Vineyards Valentine’s Day blog post. Just go here.
You can find more information on Gallo Family Vineyards Wines here. You can also check out Gallo Family Vineyards website for their wine varieties and some great recipes.
Be sure to check out what the #SundaySupper crew has made for their Valentine’s Day wine pairings.
Have a wonderful day!
- Burrata and Garlic Tomato Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Shrimp Stuffed Mushrooms by Life Tastes Good
- Strawberry Love Bombs by Peaceful Cooking
Magnificent Main Dishes:
- Braised Lamb Ragu by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bruschetta Chicken and Pasta by Casa de Crews
- Mahi Mahi with Roasted Tomatoes and Fennel by The Messy Baker
- Seafood Risotto by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Thai Sweet Chili Glazed Salmon by The Foodie Army Wife
Dazzling Desserts and Sweets:
- Caramel Apple Pie Bites for Two by Feed Me, Seymour
- Chocolate Coconut Haystacks by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Coeur a la Creme by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Espresso Creme Brulee by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Gluten Free Deep Dish Red Velvet Brownies for Two by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Creamy Lemon Tart by Magnolia Days
- Mocha Fudge by Alida’s Kitchen
- Polenta Cake with Honey Yogurt and Peach Preserves by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Raspberry Custard by Nosh My Way
- Raspberry Meringue Hearts by Desserts Required
- Strawberry Chocolate Mousse Brownie by Flavor Mosaic
- Valentine’s Day Cream Puffs by Ruffles & Truffles
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.