You know how I always talk about my foodie bucket list? It’s the list that keeps growing and growing. Every time I take one-off the list, about two more appear. Well today is one I can cross one off the list, it’s my Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread in a Skillet. Let me tell you, I am not kidding, but this is the best cornbread I have ever made and I can go as far as saying the best cornbread I have ever eaten. Cornbread is not one of those things that I order at a restaurant or make too much, but for some reason I was craving it. So I decided to whip it together in a matter of minutes and dig in as soon as it was done. It blows my mind!
This recipe didn’t come easy to make. I was out of milk, so I thought I would use coconut milk, I was out of that too. What the heck! After great thought I remembered that Little Jenny had milk in her fridge. I stole it! Hope she doesn’t mind? But when she comes home to Spicy Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread, I think she will forgive me.
I have to describe the taste of the cornbread to you. It’s spicy, cheesy, moist, light and so filling. The recipe makes 10 slices, but I think you could get a way and have 12 slices. It’s pretty thick! I made this before dinner and you know what? I don’t want dinner because I am stuffed. The cornbread is made with 1 cup of pickled jalapenos, but please use less if you want less spicy bread. I also used cheddar cheese and frozen corn. It is truly chock full of goodness. Now you can see why I am full.
- Serves: 10 slices
- Serving size: 1 slice
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup corn flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup non-fat milk
- 1 egg
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup finely chopped, drained pickled jalapeños (use less for less spicy bread)
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- ½ cup (2 oz) cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the canola oil in a 10" iron safe skillet and place in the oven. While that is warming up; it's time to make the batter.
- In medium bowl, add corn flour, flour, baking soda and salt; set a side.
- In a large bowl add milk, egg; whisk until well combined. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in the butter, jalapenos, corn and cheese.
- Take the hot skillet out of oven and pour batter into it. Spread with a spatula.
- Bake in oven for 20 - 25 minutes until golden brown and center comes out clean with a toothpick.
- Let it cool for a few minutes, before cutting.
One thing I have to tell you is in the pictures the conrbread looks crumbly. That’s because I cut it when it was still pretty warm. You know I have no patience. If you actually take the time to let it cool, it will hold it’s shape.
The cornbread would be a great addition to a big bowl of chili, soup or steak. Actually I think it would compliment most meals, but I kind of have a thing for it.
Have a super great day!