I have to tell you there are two things in life that are just bad for me and I mean bad! Chocolate and Granola. These are things I don’t allow myself to have, not because it’s bad for you, because it’s not, but because I have no control over myself. I can eat, eat and eat chocolate and granola until the cows come home. So what does one do to torcher herself? Make Chocolate Granola. Shame on me!! You can kind of say I’m bad to the bone. ha ha
Let me tell you this granola is amazing! Every time I make granola I think ohhh, this is the best! But this time I really did it! This granola is crunchy, chocolaty and just darn good!! I can eat this non-stop! It almost tastes like cocoa pebbles but way better and to boot healthier!!
The chocolate granola is a cinch to make and contains all natural ingredients. I used coconut oil, coconut sugar, ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder, maple syrup and a pinch of vanilla extract. Combined together it tasted like a brownie!! Yum! The granola mix is made with Trader Joe’s gluten-free oats, Trader Joe’s dried cherries and Trader Joe’s roasted coconut chips. Have you tried the coconut chips from TJ’s? It’s so good! Kind of reminds me of coconut cake!! Here is the package. If you’re a coconut fan, I recommend getting it.
What else makes this granola super easy to make is that no flipping is required! Just bake it in the oven for 38 minutes on 275 degrees, turn the oven off and let it cool in the oven. You end up with perfectly cooked, crunchy, chunky pieces. Here are the chunks! I love chunks!
If you were to buy me or make me a Valentine’s Day present, this granola would be it! It is wonderful by it’s self or topped on ice cream, oatmeal and yogurt. I had it with my Tillamook Coffee flavored Greek Yogurt. Have you tired Tillamook Greek Yogurt yet? It’s amazing stuff. It’s creamy, all natural, non-GMO and tastes like dessert. I kid you not it’s my new favorite yogurt. Tillamook maybe a little behind on getting greek yogurt to the shelves, but they really out did their selves on it! I am truly hooked!!
I was inspired to make this granola from my friend Michelle. She brought in a bag of chocolate cherry granola and she kept saying it is the best stuff! So I had some and oh my gosh, I knew right away I needed to re-create those flavors and I think I did a pretty good job on it. I am truly pleased with my granola outcome!
- Serves: A little over 8 cups
- Serving size: 16 - ½ cup servings
- 4 Cups rolled oats (I used Trader Joe's Gluten Free)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup, unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cherries (I used a cherry blend mix)
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a bowl, add rolled oats, shredded coconut, and slivered almonds; set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, set over low heat, add coconut oil, coconut sugar and maple syrup. Whisk constantly until sugar is melted and the sauce starts to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 5 minutes. Whisk in vanilla extract. Quickly pour chocolate mixture over oats and mix well. Take your time mixing, you wanted everything covered in your chocolate sauce.
- Pour granola onto prepared baking sheet and gently press the granola down. Bake in the oven for 38 minutes. Turn oven off and leave door to oven slightly opened for about 30 minutes more.
- Once granola is cooled, mix in dried cherries and if desired add a handful of chocolate chips.
Calories per ½ cup: 217, Fat: 9, Sodium: 10, Potassium: 99, Carbs: 29, Fiber: 5, Sugar: 14, Protein: 5 .
I shouldn’t have even written this post. I am sitting here with a handful of granola as we speak. Purly a dangerous combination. I am truly in love! Sigh…
Well my Friends, I need to go clean the kitchen and burn off some of these granola calories. I kind of ate a lot!
Have a wonderful day!