Yippie! It’s Friday, it’s Friday! I’m doing the happy dance!!
Since it’s Friday and Friday’s seem to be the day of the week, where you have pizza, tacos or some fun dish to reward ourselves for making it through the work week. I thought it would be fun to share with you one of my all time favorite snacks, that is so easy to make!
Ahh Nachos! I love nachos! I swear if you put a pile of nachos or any of the nacho condiments in front of me, I could just eat, eat, eat until there is no more left!! Since I have no nacho control, I thought I should find a way to scale the recipe down a bit so I could still enjoy my favorite treat and not worry about all the calories and fat I’m consuming. If you order nachos from a restaurant you’re looking at 100’s to 1000’s of calories. Yes they are good, but regret hits later when you realize you consumed about 4 servings of this tasty dish. Dam you nachos for being so good!!
The first thing I did was make my own tortilla chips. I took Mission brand thin corn tortilla shells which are 40 calories each and cut them up into 8 triangles. I baked them in the broiler for a few minutes. You have to be carful when making them because they burn pretty quick. I burned my first batch. One other thing about these chips, you must eat them right away or they will turn out a bit chewy, so eat them up!! Or if you could always use your favorite tortilla chips! I didn’t have any on hand so I made my own!!
Once I took the chips out of the oven the fun part began! I started to layer it with my favorite goodies, like black beans, tomatoes, onions, Con Queso Cheese.
I’m telling you, when and if you go to Trader Joe’s get their Queso Cheese Dip! It’s only 15 calories per 2 tablespoons and the stuff is amazing! I love it and put it on my tacos, dip pretzels into it and even drizzle it over some of my vegetables. I just love the stuff. It’s located in the isle with the potato chips.
Then my last layer is the jalapeno’s, greek yogurt and avocado! Yum! I’m writing this at 7 in the morning and now all I’m going to think about all day, is nachos. Needless to say, I think I’ll be snacking on this today!!
Look at all this goodness! Besides that it tastes so darn good, it’s also low in calories. This whole serving is only 152 calories and contain almost 5 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein. Now those are nice stats for nachos!! I have to pat myself on the shoulder for this recipe!!
- Serves: 1 serving
- Serving size: 1 serving
- 2 mission tortilla ultra thin corn tortillas (40 calories each)
- 2 tbsp black beans
- 2 tbsp. tomato, seeded, diced
- 1 tbsp. onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. Queso Cheese (I used Trader Joe's), warmed
- 1 tbsp. pickled jalapenos
- 2 tbsp. avocado, diced
- 1 tbsp. greek yogurt, plain
- Preheat your broiler on high. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut your tortilla shells into 6 slices per shell. Place shells on baking sheet and lightly spray with cooking spray. Flip shells and lightly spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. Place in broiler on bottom shelf and cook for 2 minutes. Flip the chips, and cook for 2 more minutes or until crispy. Watch so they don't burn.
- Place cooked tortilla shells on plate and layer with black beans, tomato and onions. I make sure to put ingredients underneath the chips too. Then add cheese, jalapenos. avocado and add a dollop of greek yogurt.
Ahhh nachos! Go ahead and splurge a little, it’s Friday and these nachos would be perfect to side with a tacos or burritos or just to have as a healthy snack!! I love that you can take everyday food that is not to healthy for you and make it flavorful healthy and delicious! Honestly, these are probably one of my all time favorite snacks. My Husband laughs at me and says you’re having Mexican again! Yupper Doodles, I sure am!! I swear I must have been Mexican in my past life because this is one cuisine that I can eat everyday! Now only if I could learn to do the Salsa! 🙂
Have a super fabulous weekend!