Today is the Sunday Supper edition. Today’s post we are supposed to bring something to the Sunday table that has to do with Valentine’s Day. I thought chocolate mousse, chocolate pudding, cupcakes, but I settled on Red Velvet Pancakes. You know how much I love pancakes, and who doesn’t love a soft, fluffy, silky red velvet pancakes with cream cheese frosting?
These pancakes are pretty healthy for you too! They are made with whole wheat flour and greek yogurt! I love my greek yogurt pancakes. I will admit I did have a few issues making these. The problem was the color. I actually made these last week and as much red dye drops I put in, I couldn’t come up with the right color. The more white flour I mixed in the darker the chocolate got. Crazy! My Husband said they tasted good, but don’t look like red velvet. Here’s what they looked like last week!
See no red! So this week, I bought red dye paste and presto, red velvet pancakes were born. Since I was bringing this to the Sunday Supper table to serve, I had to make more than 6 pancakes so I upped the recipe and got 16 beautiful pancakes.
I also decided since it is for Valentine’s Day that heart shape pancakes would be perfect! I took the not so pretty pancakes, and cut out heart shapes with my cookie cutter. So cute! They are sure to bring a smile to anyone’s face that you serve them too!
I really feel for the topping that maple syrup is not needed, but for red velvet you need a creamy cream cheese frosting. You can make the frosting as thick or as thin as you like, by adding more milk for thinner frosting or more powdered sugar for thicker frosting. I made mine in the middle. I couldn’t stop dipping the pancakes in the frosting, so good!
I have to admit to you, this is the first time I ever made anything red velvet and I love it! I never even ate red velvet anything. I did try a piece of cake once, and my friends said the cake was not good, so don’t count it towards the red velvet experience. I am looking forward to experimenting with the whole red velvet phase.
A light and fluffy pancake made with greek yogurt and whole wheat flour.
- 1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt, plain
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup. non-fat milk
- 1/4 tsp. white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. red dye paste (food safe)
- 1 1/2 cup whole what pastry flour
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1tsp. baking soda
- 4 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 oz cream cheese, fat free, room temperature
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. non fat milk
- In a small bowl, add milk and vinegar; set a side for a few minutes.
- In a medium bowl add greek yogurt, egg whites, vanilla extract and milk and vinegar mixture; mix until combined. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, powdered sugar and salt, mix until combined. Set a side.
- In a small - medium bowl, add cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk. Beat until creamy smooth. Add more milk, for a thinner frosting, add more sugar for a thicker frosting.
- Place a little less than 1/4 cup batter on to a medium hot skillet or griddle, cook until bubbles appear and flip pancake, approx 2 minutes per side.
- To keep pancakes warm, heat oven to 200F and place cooked pancakes onto a baking sheet and place in the oven until ready to eat.
- Frost pancakes with cream cheese frosting. To make a heart shape pancake, I took a cookie cutter and cut out the shape.
Calories per 4 pancakes including frosting: 273.2, Fat: 2, Cholesterol: 2.5, Sodium: 472, Potassium: 198, Carbs: 52.9, Fiber: 6.9, Sugar: 15, Protein: 15
I’m pretty happy with these pancakes! I will definitely make them again! I honestly can’t get over how smooth they are and my family just loved them!!
Be sure to check out what everyone else made for their Sunday Supper! I just love Valentine’s Day goodies! So fun!
Have a good day!
P.S. Here is a picture of the inside of the pancakes. I get a lot of requests to show these pictures!
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Breakfasts, Apps & Main Dishes:
- Asparagus, Clam & Bay Shrimp Pasta from Galactopdx
- Bacon Double Cheese Burger Bites from In the Kitchen with KP
- Cheese Stuffed Cannelloni from Curious Cuisiniere
- Fried Heart Pizza from Mooshu Jenne
- Garlic Shrimp Bruschetta from MarocMama
- Green Olive, Goat Cheese & Basil Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Indian Shrimp Pulao from Soni’s Food
- Individual Beef “Phyll-ingtons” from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ranch, Bacon and Cheese Crisps from Daily Dish Recipes
- Red Velvet Pancakes with Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Rissóis de Camarão | Portuguese Shrimp Dumplings from Family Foodie
- Spicy Red Cabbage Quiche | Veggie Quiche Recipe from Masala Herb
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Sweet Eats:
- Banana Bourbon Blondies from The Messy Baker
- Banana Cream Napoleon from Food Lust People Love
- Brown Butter M&M Cookies from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Brown Butter Rolo Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies from Damn Delicious
- Cherry Pie Hearts from Home Cooking Memories
- Chocolate Baumkuchen from Webicurean
- Chocolate Bread Pudding from La Cocina de Leslie
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake with Baileys Banana Cream Sauce from The Lovely Pantry
- Chocolate Covered Bacon from I Run For Wine
- Chocolate Covered Stuffed Strawberries from Country Girl in the Village
- Chocolate Mousse from Mom, What’s For Dinner?
- Chocolate Roll filled with Nutella Cream from Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Truffles from The Wimpy Vetegarian
- Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream with Cherry Sauce from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas with Chocolate Sauce from The Roxx Box
- Coconut Sweetheart Cookies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Coeur a la Creme from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cream Cheese Mints from Simply Gourmet
- Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Mousse with Coconut Cream from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Torte from Kelly Bakes
- Deliciously Baked & Festively Glazed Mini-Donuts from Mangoes and Chutney
- #GlutenFree Chocolate Almond Cloudless Cake from Cooking Underwriter
- Heart Shaped White Chocolate Cakes with Raspberry Cream from Noshing with the Nolands
- Homemade Cherry Mash Candies from Juanita’s Cocina
- Maple-Date Bars from Diabetic Foodie
- Meyer Lemon Marmalade from Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Samoa Bundt Cakes from She Likes Ruffles, He Likes Truffles
- Molten Chocolate Lava Cake from Gotta Get Baked
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Pistachio and Chocolate Souffle from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Raspberry Custard Tart from Kudos Kitchen
- Raw Fudge Love from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Red Velvet French Macarons with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Red Velvet Fudge from What Smells So Good?
- Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Red Velvet Sugar Cookie Bars from Chocolate Moosey
- Red Wine Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting from The Urban Mrs.
- Strawberry Shortcake! from The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Valentine Cake Hearts from Ninja Baking
- Tres Leches Tea Cakes with Honey Riesling Soaked Fruit from Neighborfood
- Valentine’s Bakewell Tarts from Happy Baking Days
- Valentines Chocolate Apples from Big Bear’s Wife
#SundaySupper Valentine’s Day Drinks:
- Blood Orange Vodka Martinis from The Catholic Foodie
- Bloody Raspberry Cocktail from My Cute Bride
- Strawberry Gin Fizz from girlichef
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, February 10th to talk all about Valentine’s eats and treats! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos!